Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Are you allowed to just go and fish them out of the river?? or do you only need a license to leave a trap?

Congrats on a good haul anyway!!

Dan

Mang

Settler
Our local rivers are overflowing with American Signal Crayfish :(

I caught one to show my parents and kids and that isn't allowed because I'm told you need a licence, and throwing it back is not on because it's an invader! I reckon if a river is choked with ASC you should be able to fill yer boots.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Got 8 crays caught with a standard childrens fishing-net-on-a-stick and some luncheon meat, sitting in the freezer, just wandering exactly what part you eat and how everyone prefefers cooking them...

Did you stick them in the freezer live ..stick them in boiling water for a few mins until the go a orange colour take them out let cool break the tail section off it must be de-veined this can be done by taking hold of the centre piece at the end off the tail and pulling it off peel and enjoy very sweet succulent meat

Aug 17, 2008
Hampshire
Food poisoning from eating shellfish is usually caused by failing to store and/or cook them properly.

Using crayfish very fresh, or cooking and freezing on the day they are caught should minimise the likelihood of problems.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I think I read somewhere (maybe on here?) that you need a license to catch them - the thinking behind it is that if anyone can catch them, then someone might deliberatly 'infect' a previously clean bit of water to ensure a supply of free food, thereby spreading the problem.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
i bought my self a trap at the weekend so have been doing some reading up on when and where i can use it. I think the other problem with one off trapping is that if you dont trap the stretch regulary it will eliminate the dominant males giving the others a chance to thrive.
George

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE