Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ferret68

Jul 24, 2021
Kent
Hi everyone ,i'm Kevin .I work in a primary school teaching Forest School near the coast in Kent. I've dabbled in bushcraft for many years along side my other passions of camping ,fishing woodworking ,metalworking ,general tinkering and landrovers .
In my role at work I get to teach a lot of hands on skills to 4 to 11 year olds ,My ideal would be to include a lot more bushcraft elements to the childrens learning. Hopefully there's some inspirational people in this group with some ideas as to what and how to inspire the children and myself as like all of us lack of time and a busy life get in the way of our passions ,which is why in part I want to include it in my teaching so I get my bushcraft fix as well the children .
thankyou

Reactions: Erbswurst

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hello and welcome!

Depends what you think of as bushcraft, vs other craft.

What is it that you already teach the kids?

Chris

Ferret68

Jul 24, 2021
Kent
Thank you for warm welcome to the community. It's very basic with the children at the moment .
  1. Fire lighting
  2. Simple shelters
  3. Basic cooking
  4. knots & Lashings
  5. Flora & Fauna ID
  6. Basic knife skills On the craft side of things i'm currently building a pole lathe and a shave horse for use at home and at the school.
    How far do others take their bushcrafting ?

Greetings Kevin
You have a good selection there already for children.
Orienteering and tracking could be a couple of additions maybe even cloud and weather forecasting. Material sourcing ie clay, tree identification, river safety. I would definately assert a leave as found rule when camping to them if nothing else stuck in their minds.

Hope this helps

Ferret68

Jul 24, 2021
Kent
Hi Erbswurst
I use Morakniv 840 companion with the more experienced children and a rounded tip Mora ,I don't know what number or name but they're smaller and I find better for small hands plus they have no point.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Ferret68

Jul 24, 2021
Kent
Greetings Kevin
You have a good selection there already for children.
Orienteering and tracking could be a couple of additions maybe even cloud and weather forecasting. Material sourcing ie clay, tree identification, river safety. I would definately assert a leave as found rule when camping to them if nothing else stuck in their minds.

Hope this helps
Definitely going to extend their weather knowledge .unfortunately we have no rivers near by . We are looking into some form of 'wild' camping ,we had a trial on our field with our school leavers this year and it was a great success . Into the woods next time hopefully.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Welcome Kevin,

I too have taught bushcraft and conservation skills, and even agriculture/horticulture to a wide range of individuals, of all ages.

I would add botanical identification, not just trees, but grasses, flowers, mosses, etc. I would also focus on the edible and nonedible.

I branched out into the more focused sciences and incorporated that into any lessons taught, as it went that bit further into how things worked in nature.

Where are you based in Kent, as there are a number of us in this area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE