Cramp Ball

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi
Looking for some cramp balls to show Cubs /Scouts their use.

Have black bear tinder and char cloth to swap

Thanks

Roger

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just checked my stash and they've turned to dust again, must remember to stick them in the freezer for a night next time.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I've just checked my stash and they've turned to dust again, must remember to stick them in the freezer for a night next time.

Do you normally keep them in the freezer? Any tips or signs to look out for them. I keep looking but never seen one mind you its on Scout Campsites so someone may be there before me .

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not so much storing them in the freezer but just putting them in for a night or two to kill any bugs that are living inside them. I've forgotten to do it the last two years now and after a few months the little bugs turn the fungi into a fine black dust.

Tip for finding them, well they only grow on Ash trees for a start so that helps to narrow down the search. They grow on dead limbs or complete fallen trees and the ones I find are usually hiding on the underside.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
OOPs I thought it was Silver Birch. Most of the campsites I got to have silver birch.

Hence the 2 carrier bags full of silver birch bark. [Taken of dead or pruned branches - I don't like the habit of stripping the bark off living trees.]

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Had quick look in my room and found a couple; bone dry and ready for a spark PM me your address No need to reciprocate as there are only two. If you want more I can harvest them easy they are abundant in my neck of the woods

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
When do you need them for, one of the woods i have use of is a mix of Sycamore and Ash and i can normally fill a good sized bag with them in minutes, reason i ask for a time frame is im not sure when i shall be back up there at present.

I

IBrown

When do you need them for? I have an Ash outside my house with them on. I live in Bucks if your close enough you are welcome to them.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi

I'm a Cub Scout Leader and I want ti use them in teaching fire lighting. We use Flint an dsteel wuth Cotton wool balls [+vaseline] - birch bark shavings etc.

I want some cramp balls to show them that.

Unfortunately I'm in Nottingham but I am happy to repay postage an dpackagng if you can help out.

Thanks

Roger

Tilia

Forager
Feb 3, 2011
netherlands
Tip for finding them, well they only grow on Ash trees for a start so that helps to narrow down the search. They grow on dead limbs or complete fallen trees and the ones I find are usually hiding on the underside.

i found a small one on a birch once

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Not so much storing them in the freezer but just putting them in for a night or two to kill any bugs that are living inside them. I've forgotten to do it the last two years now and after a few months the little bugs turn the fungi into a fine black dust.

I know that they primarily grow on Ash, but I've found them on Silver birch also. So I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to only looking for Ash.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I know that they primarily grow on Ash, but I've found them on Silver birch also. So I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to only looking for Ash.

Also found on Cherry as well, got some right here in the garden, but im growing these on to see how big they will go

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi All,

Thnak you for your help particularly redandshane who sent me some and refused any reimbursement.
You guys are great
Thanks again

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
i found a small one on a birch once

the only few i've found was on a dead standing birch, there's a picture on here somewhere

Also found on Cherry as well, got some right here in the garden, but im growing these on to see how big they will go

Well I never knew that, the only fungi I see on birch round here are the polypores, maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Sorry to be a pain but one more question. Whats the best way of slicing them.

Tried my Mora which is sharp but it just seemed to break it not slice

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
It doesn't really matter as long as you have an open faced bit/chunk and the spark lands on it it will smolder giving you a glowing red ember

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
as above really, just crack them open so you can see the internal structure of the ball

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE