Crafting Snowshoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Hi Guys,
I just found and ordered a old book about snowshoes. Someone in a tanner forum pointed me to this book as a good book if someone like to make his own snowshoes. The book is real cheap and I gave it a shot and ordered it.
I just thought that someone might like that book too.

So, if you are interested here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3253020-5459255?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

cheers
Abbe

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
This is one of the classic texts on snowshoes. There was another crafts book published in the late 70s on actually making traditional snowshoes with patterns for the bearpaw, ojibway and michigan pattern. Sorry, I cannot recall the title, but copies pop up on EBAY. You will need a steaming unit, drawknife, wood drill and chisels. The wood must be clear grained and at least show 5 growth rings for strength. The webbing pattern looks complicated, but is actually quite simple. The tighter the pattern the better floatation. Testing actually demonstrated this pattern gave superior bounce vs a traditional tennis raquet! The best retaining system is also the simplest and traditional. Modern lampwicking for oil lanterns is excellent. Quantity rolls may be purchased from SIR mailorder in Canada ( www.sirmailorder.ca ) This stuff also makes superior straps for neck knifes, being more comfortable, safer ( with a breakaway stitch) and makes for fine emergency tinder.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Abbe Osram said:
Hi Guys,
I just found and ordered a old book about snowshoes. Someone in a tanner forum pointed me to this book as a good book if someone like to make his own snowshoes. The book is real cheap and I gave it a shot and ordered it.
I just thought that someone might like that book too.

So, if you are interested here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...002-3253020-5459255?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

cheers
Abbe

Good luck Abbe. Interestingly enough while in Bo I noticed several pairs of snow shoes with Rubber webbing as oppossed to the classic raw hide - while these were slightly heavier I am sure the advantages of rubber would counter that out on the ground.

jUST A THOUGHT.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE