Natural World: Tales of the Last River Rat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
Did anybody see this? an amazing program following 'river rat' Kenny Salwey for a year on the Mississippi river.

He's basically a woodsman who has lived on the Mississppi for most of his life, hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering. The program showed you how he lives off the land and the changing wildlife and seasons on the river.
Great stuff. He's written a book also, which looks good and i for one am going to buy -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-4362424-9125560?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

cheers

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I don't have a TV but was lucky enough to be at my folks house when it was on. I thought it was excellent (although the music was intrusive). The books now on my christmas list :)

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
A very good programme. The scenery and photography was stunning, but Kennys commentary made it for me.

BTW: if you're after the book on Amazon.co.uk, search on the name J S Bestul, or the title - it's not under Kennys name. (£9.75 - put my order in)

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
It was actually on twice this week weirdly enough. Great stuff, and what a voice that chap has.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Really enjoyable and atmospheric - bound to be repeated sometime. It reminded me of a BBC2 programme many years ago on Hugh Falkus - "Portrait of a Happy Man" about his life in a cottage in Eskdale - now I wonder if that's available on video ???

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I missed it last night but saw the 1st one.I pressume its a mini series.Exellent program from a bushcrafter living the life! He traps or forages most of his food from his Mississippi backwater.Cant say I liked the idea of dragging snapping turtles out of the river by hand tho' :shock:

Ranger Bob

Nomad
Aug 21, 2004
Suffolk
The Natural World is repeated late monday nights on BBC1 with sign language. I think its on at 2am (Tues), although this one won't be on till next week.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I saw it too..... A wonderful programme from someone who's out there actually Doing it for real. I didn't tape it I'm afraid, but wish I had. Very inspiring

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I taped it (VHS) except for the first minute or so of the opening credits but I don't have the means to copy it. I'd be happy to post it to someone who can.....I'm sure it would be returned eventually. Let me know if there are any bright ideas.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Falcon, If you could post it to me I could upload it to my website and return the tape... or post it on to anyone else.

PM me if this would be ok... but I'd love to see it.

Cheers

Joe

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
Brilliant programme, I saw both showings. This guy had a fantastic respect for the wildlife he took, along the lines of appreciating that a life was given in order to sustain another - how many do this whilst munching on a burger?
His style of narration was mesmerizing - not just his voice but also in its calming style. The scenery and photography beautiful and I felt the music added to the quality.

It also had something for me reminiscent of Jack Hargreaves and Out of Town.

If it is repeated do watch it.

Elliott

gb said:
Did anybody see this? an amazing program following 'river rat' Kenny Salwey for a year on the Mississippi river.

He's basically a woodsman who has lived on the Mississppi for most of his life, hunting, trapping, fishing and gathering. The program showed you how he lives off the land and the changing wildlife and seasons on the river.
Great stuff. He's written a book also, which looks good and i for one am going to buy -
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...104-4362424-9125560?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

cheers

I'll see if Borders, down the road, has it!!

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
bushwacker bob said:
Cant say I liked the idea of dragging snapping turtles out of the river by hand tho' :shock:

When I lived in Louisiana I was surprised to learn that the standard method of catching catfish was to use your arm as bait... I always assumed that this sort of thing was just something they told to tourists.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE