Trip Report Craft Camp at the Steam Tent Co-operative

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-I.jpg

People often ask me what "Steampunk" means and the truth is that it means something different to everyone.

Most people get the "Steam" part of it, referencing the age of steam, but are less certain about the "Punk" part of the word.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXX.jpg

For me, growing up in the punk rock era, the movement was as much about individualism and creativity as it's anti establishment roots.

Rather than going out and buying the commercial junk that inevitably surfaced, the real punks made their own gear and clothing.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXI.jpg

The retro aesthetic of Steampunk has largely been driven by that "do it yourself" attitude and craftwork naturally goes hand in hand with that approach.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XI.jpg

William Morris, one of the founders of the Victorian Arts and Crafts movement, famously said: "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful”  That could equally be a mantra for our encampments.

When the Steam Tent Co-operative was first conceived, I always hoped that craft work would become an important part of camp life.

I had seen it take it's place by the fire in re-enactment, living history, bushcraft and other types of outdoor life so it was important to me that it should be encouraged within the co-operative and with such a wide range of skills held by members we already have the means to do that.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXII.jpg

Friday was arrival day for most of us so the usual routines of settlement gave way eventually to gathering around the fire and discussing how we wanted to fit things in. It was also a chance to get to know some of our newer members.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXIII.jpg

We decided to start with some basic leather working skills proceeding to band weaving and decorative cord making, Kolrosing, textile work and traditional rope work later. There was also a request to get some instruction on photographing the camp in the evenings.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-IV.jpg

For an introduction to leather working we set out to make a needle case with two nesting tubes.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-III.jpg

This covered thread preparation, saddle, box and butt stitch, the three most useful stitches needed for constructing a variety of leather cases.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXV.jpg

The relaxed, informal atmosphere of a camp is great for learning which is something recognised by the likes of Robert Baden Powell at the turn of the last century and is still just as true today.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXIV.jpg

We had a nice mix of new members and seasoned hands at this camp, roughly half and half, but by the end we got on like a bunch of old friends.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXVI.jpg

As the light level dwindled, meals were prepared and cooked.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XIII.jpg

In the evening conversation resumed once more around the camp fire.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XII.jpg

As a co-operative, times like this are good to discuss future plans, suggest improvements and just have a good laugh.

Paul. Will and Lou had set up at the “Half Steam” end of the pitch with tents that fitted into the overall look of the camp but were not yet dressed out for display.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-V.jpg

We recognise that people start out at all different levels, some may even arrive with modern camping equipment and just the clothing they stand in.

That is all fine, coming to your first camp is an ideal way to see how we do things and learn the tips and tricks that make these camps possible.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-IX.jpg

Andy and Sue however turned up for their first meet with an amazing display which we all decided rightly deserved the designation of “Full Steam” and a place in the heart of the camp. An outstanding début.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XV.jpg

As Sunday turned into one of the hottest August Bank Holiday weekends on record a bit of shade was much appreciated.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXIII.jpg

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The woodland location of this pitch, with it’s dappled shade allowed us to carry on with our various craft projects for most of the day in the heart of the camp.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-VII.jpg

Debs discussing kumihimo, Japanese cord making, with Sue who was working on some lace making while Josie considers the next part of her Kolrosing design.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXXVI.jpg

Andy working on a new drawing.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XIV.jpg

Phil doing a bit of wood carving.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XVII.jpg

Sue working on what she described as a “simple” lace design.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XIX.jpg

Steve getting to grips with an eye splice.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXVII.jpg

Paul ready to proceed with a back splice.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XX.jpg

Coiling the rope for storage.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXIX.jpg

Will looking confident about his second eye splice.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXVIII.jpg

Josie drawing out the next part of the Kolrosing design.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXII.jpg

Andy with one he finished earlier.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXI.jpg

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXV.jpg

Nieve guarding the Oz tent. Be afraid. Be very afraid...

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XVI.jpg

Stella looking for a suitable soap box.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-X.jpg

More pictures of Andy and Sue’s amazing Oz tent.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-VIII.jpg

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-VI.jpg

The Baker tent standing in for the Utilitent.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-XXIV.jpg

Craft was at the core of this event and the result was a wonderful weekend. There is no reason that such crafts cannot continue on a less formal basis at all our events.

I for one am always willing to pass my skills on and I know others feel very much the same way.

Craft-Camp-at-the-Steam-Tent-Co-operative-II.jpg

Our next event is the Monster Mash on the weekend before Halloween. It was a great event last year and I’m sure this year will be even better.

Time to put those new skills to good use and work on some spooky projects.

Will you be there? Do you dare?

Last edited:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
"only one word for that "Brilliant"....

Agreed. The photograph of the three ladies in a group is straight from the Victorian era, surely?
You've made my day with that post Gary, all is right with the world, there is still a spark in England...:thumbsup:...:D

Reactions: Wayland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE