Craeg's first spoon

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hi all,

This is my first spoon that I started on the Moot in Tone's spoon carving workshop. I finished it yesterday and soaked it in olive oil. I found the carving very relaxing if not a little sore on the fingers.

The Frost's carving and crook knife performed very well but I feel the crook knife could be sharper? (Comments welcome!)

There is a little crack outside the bowl but it doesn't go through the bowl and it still works fine.

I gave it to my daughter as a little pressie and she was really chuffed and it is now her official yogurt spoon. Anyway the pics, please let me know what you think guys!

Back
1stSpoonBack.jpg

Bowl
1stSpoonBowl.jpg

1stSpoonFront.jpg

Side
1stSpoonSide.jpg

I have started another small spoon from a cherry tree branch out of my garden and I will be looking for a larger bough to make an errrr, larger spoon, maybe using the axe to start.

My son and I had a great weekend and are definitely coming next year. We met some really good like-minded people and we would both like to thank Tone and all the other mods/workshop instructors for making it an excellent experience. Hope it is longer next year.

Craeg

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nicely done! Giving spoons to your kids is very rewarding, I have made spoons for all of my girls and they like to use them. There are so many different styles to create too, so endless fun!

As for the frosts spoon knife, I found grinding that secondary bevel off made a lot of difference.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Craeg, you did well, as I said at the moot much much better than my first spoon. The thing to do is keep making them, you'll get better, and never run out of spoons.
Well done mate, :approve:

ganstey

Settler
Cracking first effort! If I was you're daughter I'd be well chuffed... if you see what I mean :rolleyes: Much better than my first effort. I've made three now, and each has been better than the previous one. I guess you just continue learning. I must have a go at making some smaller/narrower ones, as the ones I've made so far are bordering on serving spoons :D

Whilst I was on holiday in Norway last week, I saw a huge porridge spoon - it must have been about 2ft long with a bowl about 4 inch diameter. As soon as I get hold of a large enough log I'm going to have a go at making one.

G

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Good job there

Have you stropped the spoon knife adequately as a good bit of stropping makes a big difference.

ganstey

Settler
Have done a bit but will continue

Thanks

Does anyone have a tutorial on doing this? I'm still struggling to get my spoon knife sufficiently sharp - Its the single-handed Frosts one if it makes any difference. I've used grades of waterstone on it as I would a straight knife, but I'm not sure how much I should work the outside, and if/how I should treat the inside.

G

I used a very fine tool stone on the inside, flat against the blade. I got the stone from a woodworking company and it's used for things like gouges and other tools with odd profiles.

I've also got a peice of heavy suede as a strop, which I wrapped around a dowel to allow me to strop the inside of the spoon knife.

Hope this helps!

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
There is a thread in the edged tools section I will look but wet and dry taped to a broom handle or suitable piece of pipe is fine.
Leather round the same for a strop.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE