Crabbing in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
you can make a good crab net out of one of those pound shop keep nets.

crabnet.jpg

just cut the top draw cord section off and stich it to the bottom ring, this makes a large bait cavity add some weights and the suspension lines.

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
The only crabs I've seen caught there are the green shore crabs and velvet swimming crabs (very aggressive). Neither are suitable for eating.

They are actually both edible, just not in favour in the UK for some reason. Tons of them caught here get shipped off to spain and france etc where they are used in stock and soups.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
mmm. day trip coz U R in London... I have the same problem....
For a guaranteed crab dinner, fixed it! :D

alternatively, down to Brighton Marina with a stick with a bit of rag tied to the end, dip in a cocktail of waste bits 'O' fish that stinks well and poke said stick between rocks and those aggressive fellows will latch on to it. (works well in Greece :) but bit far to go!) and if it doesn't work, you enjoy a pleasant and picturesque day at the seaside!

Sisyphus

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2009
north east scotland
alternatively, down to Brighton Marina with a stick with a bit of rag tied to the end, dip in a cocktail of waste bits 'O' fish that stinks well and poke said stick between rocks and those aggressive fellows will latch on to it.

Clever idea!

Personally I think we should have a few of these in our seaside arcades

lobster-game.jpg

Thanks for the replies.
The Thames is a long river and I know nothing about fishing or crabbing, so if anyone can actually tell me a location, that would be good.
Doubt their Mum (my sister) would be too pleased, but I'm up for having a go.

The place to start is the river Lee (AKA Lea) in east london. Where the river passes through Stamford Hill there are so many that the locals catch them with a a stick and a sports bag!

In terms of a day out, up river is defiantly the place to start, planning to work your way down to the Thames.

The Lee meets the Thames at Trinity Buoy Wharf which is open to the public with a great american style trailer diner which should go some way to placating your sister.

OR
On the other side of the river there is an amazing place called the creekside centre in Deptford - Where the ravensbourne meets the thames. They do a really cool guided walk at low tide (i think the kids need to be over 10 - ring to confirm) where you're bound to see Crabs and juvenile flounder living amongst all kinds of cool historical detritus.

I wrote a review a while back it's here

Hope this is a help
SBW

Bongo Matt

Tenderfoot
Apr 18, 2009
Isle of Wight
Luccombe bay Isle of Wight, Tons of them there, I use a few folding crab traps I got from ebay from my Canadian canoe to catch the edible ones and on one occasion a lobster, its also possible to catch them at low tide off the ledge with a hand line, or snorkel with a mesh bag and just pick em up!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE