coyote attack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Know how the coyote feels - some of those folk songs do just drone on and you have to do something to stop them.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
Know how the coyote feels - some of those folk songs do just drone on and you have to do something to stop them.

That is extremely harsh mate! Very sad story the poor girl, I assume she was quite timid and quiet and obviously scared, personally if they were stalking me I would be shouting and roaring and kicking which probably would scare them off. Sad.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a sad (and unusual) thing.

Agreed though - the death of a young girl in a nasty way is not a joking matter

Red

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
That is extremely harsh mate!

True.
But no worse than faux, insincere, sympathising...

Seriously though, it is a shame.
But no more of a shame than Fred Blogs down the road who's just died of cancer but who we don't feel the need to wring our hands in sympathy over.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
True.
But no worse than faux, insincere, sympathising...

Seriously though, it is a shame.
But no more of a shame than Fred Blogs down the road who's just died of cancer but who we don't feel the need to wring our hands in sympathy over.

I knew that was coming. I see what you mean but just don't bother posting rather than **** taking. No one likes a smart bottom.

5.10leader

Agreed that almost any death is a rragedy as far as friends, family etc are concerned. But the particular circumstances have to be considered as well - would anyone mourn the death of the facebook child abusers for instance!

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Its very sad that someone young who seemed to be living life well and enjoyed being in the outdoors too should pass away this way.

Which is why i think it is a bigger loss that some other types of people i can think of.

Though their families feel the pain for the rest of us the general feeling is "no great loss"

Eg.
Woman killed on I-12 was joking with boyfriend when she opened door and fell from pickup The Times-Picayune June 04, 2009 3:34PM A Hammond woman joked that she could walk faster than her boyfriend was driving before she opened the door of his pickup and fell to her death on Interstate 12 last weekend, authorities said Thursday.

Tamera Batiste, 22, died Saturday after falling out of the truck as it crossed from Tangipahoa Parish into St. Tammany Parish about 1 p.m., said Mark Lombard, chief investigator for the St. Tammany Parish Coroner's Office.

Batiste's boyfriend told deputies she had been joking with him about how slowly he was driving and encouraged him to speed up so she could make it to work on time, St. Tammany Parish Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. George Bonnett said. After saying she could get to work faster if she walked, she opened the door of the cab and stuck her foot out before falling from the truck, Bonnett said.

Deputies do not know exactly how fast the truck was going at the time of the accident but believe it was traveling at highway speed, Bonnett said.

Other drivers on the road at the time told deputies they saw the woman open the door herself before falling out, Bonnett said.

Batiste died of "multiple traumatic injuries," Lombard said. Both the Sheriff's Office and the Corner's Office have ruled that her death was accidental.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Yes, this is a very sad story. And extremely odd too -- coyotes almost never exhibit this kind of behavior toward adult humans.

Coyotes are normally nothing to think twice about -- when you live in the American west you have literally thousands of coyotes encounters. I've had a family group of them -- pups too -- sleep on the edges of my camp!

However, there have been some interesting stories lately about coyotes changing to occupy the position once held by the red wolf (now hunted to near extinction) in the US Northeast and southeast.

Wolves used to keep coyote population at bay. But because we've nearly wiped out the wolves, coyotes in some regions are getting larger (up to 8kg larger -- a big jump for the smallish coyote) and, remarkably, even their fur is changing.

They've been witnessed going after large game like deer in packs, coyotes normally go after much smaller game and hunting big game is unusual although not entirely unheard of. The jury is out on exactly what's happening, but the biologists are observing this and scratching their heads.

It's almost as if nature demands a predator occupy the spot that Red Wolves held in the eco-system and thus will re-engineer coyotes, which look like a smaller version of the red wolf anyway.

What worries wildlife biologists about all this is that coyotes are quite habituated to humans and not nearly as shy of people as wolves. Coyotes think nothing of wandering into your yard, a wolf would NEVER do that. (Fun fact: there has never been an authenticated case of wolves killing an adult human in North America.)

I love coyotes, they're amazing animals. Smart, resilient, tough. Worthy of the reverence the Native Americans held for them.

But the prospect of larger and more aggressive coyotes emerging to fill a vacant niche in the eco-system is not good news.

Atellus

Jul 15, 2007
Warrington, Cheshire
Good point from BorderReiver and although the article doesn't suggest this, one has to account for the inevitable bias introduced into any journalism. We don't know, for instance, if she had fallen and injured a leg and was unable to move or defend herself, which puts her firmly at the top of the menu. Or perhaps she was mucking about, bent over while doing something with her kit and was unfortunate enough to be spotted by a member of this new, larger, more aggressively predatory specie of Coyote that dogwood describes.

Either of these situations would detract from the drama and terror of the story, and those are two things that always sell newspapers, including the Guardian, no matter how enlightened it's readers like to think it is.

On the subject of the Coyote expanding into the vacant niche above it - there's one in the eye for the American Evangelist Creationists. Evolution happening right under their noses!

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Could it be that the lass died of natural causes and was an opportunistic meal for the coyotes?

No, apparently the attack was verified.

The story I read about this here in the States indicated that people heard her cries for help during the attack and that she was alive for a time after help arrived.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I'm very surprised by this, poor girl.

I'd love to read the studies into the coyote's development, it makes sense that it is plugging the gap left by the wolf.

Another good reason for not hunting one species too far.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
I'm very surprised by this, poor girl.

I'd love to read the studies into the coyote's development, it makes sense that it is plugging the gap left by the wolf.

Another good reason for not hunting one species too far.

Hammock Monkey,

Here are some links that talk about the red wolf decline and the coyote taking its place -- the most recent news article on a study (the main one I was referring to in my post) I can't find at the moment.

Anyhow, here is some additional info on the red wolves:

http://www.redwolves.com/about_wolves/topten.html

http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?recNum=MA0461

http://www.wolfsource.org/?page_id=114

http://www.nhptv.org/NatureWorks/redwolf.htm

A couple of notes on the content above -- the idea that red wolves evolved from Gray Wolves and Coyotes interbreeding a few hundred thousand years ago is *hotly* debated. Mta DNA studies suggest it is true, the fossil record suggests that the red wolf was in North America several hundred thousand years *before* the arrival of the gray wolf. So the jury is out on this.

The stuff about the interbreeding with coyotes is for real, but it's a tricky issue when talking about the changes in the northeastern Coyotes (they've shot coyotes in Maine that weight 68 pounds in the last few months, *enormous* for a coyote -- that's adolescent wolf size.)

The red wolf has been extinct in the wild since the mid-1970s and only exists now in protected breeding colonies. It was documented that the Red Wolf would on occasion interbreed with coyotes 35 years ago when overhunting reduced Red Wolf populations so low that males couldn't find suitable wolf mates and thus mated with the incoming coyote populations.

However, those few hybrid pups were absorbed into the coyote populations, not the Red Wolf populations. And even then, the number of hybrids was very low -- maybe a hundred vs. the 100s of thousands of coyotes on the east coast.

No meaningful levels of interbreeding are known to have happened since then -- attempts to reintroduce Red Wolves in the wild haven't been successful to date.

Some believe that the initial interbreeding a couple of decades ago was the trigger for the change in the eastern coyotes.

However, three decade old hybrids don't account for the recent changes in coyote morphology in the northeast. The haven't been growing gradually over the decades, they've been shooting up in size in the last 10 years.

Some speculate that the coyotes are now mating with gray wolves, which is known to happen on occasion. However other biologists don't buy this argument because Gray Wolves keep coyotes out of their territory.

So no one agrees on exactly what is happening with these coyotes, but they do agree they are changing..... Nature abhors a vacuum and by killing off the Red Wolves we've created a vacuum.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Tragic, and an eye opener for those who use the outdoors, i wonder if it was "that time of the month" ?.

Rob

That's a fair point.
When I was out in Australia it was said that the kangaroos were turned on by menstruating women.

Whether that's true or not I don't know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE