'Cowboy' food

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
That French Jonny (and his armies) we gave a dam good thrashing did indeed instigate a new method of preserving food for his army and many thanks, I'll raise a soldier prior to its dunking in a dippy egg and thank him (Napoleon that is) for my tins of beans :)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the interesting link above. I've not seen that anywhere before.

In looking over some of the details, it is always well to remember how much the differences there can be between what is on one man's table and on someone else's just over the hill. The differences are usually due to the different economic circumsances one family might be in compared with their neighbors. In some case, the difference might be remarkable. Naturally, there will be a big variation between what the rancher or plantation owner has and what his employees, tenants and before the Civil War in the South, his slaves, even though they all ate basically the same foods. One might be better prepared or from more choice ingredients. We have a saying here, "Eating high off the hog."

One could also say that not everyone in America is even living in the same present, in a manner of speaking. In more isolated places all across the country, mostly in mountainous areas, people lived largely the same way the original settlers lived, sometimes even in the very houses built when the country was settled. That's also true in other countries but people hold onto the "old ways" everywhere in rural areas, usually for very practical reasons. That's why log houses are still commonly used in Northern Europe and Asia.

In the United States, changes probably began in the 1930s, ironically, in spite of the Great Depression, and accellerated in the 1950s. Probably the biggest change here was rural electrification. For all the romanticism of Currier & Ives, wood-burning kitchen ranges and heating stoves were relatively difficult to use, dirty, a little dangerous and basically a lot of trouble. This I all know first-hand. But coal-burning heaters are still in wide use in a lot of places. But cooking didn't change much at all until relatively recently and even then, not that much.

The things that would have become only a distant memory would be cooking on an open fire, here referring to the fire place, but also open fire cooking outside on a regular basis. Cattle is raised all over the country but only in the wide open spaces of the mid-west were the cattle drives, chuck wagons and cooking on the trail. In the same way, logging camps are pretty rare now, too, but they had their own culinary traditions, if that's the right word. Loggers ate a lot.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......In the United States, changes probably began in the 1930s, ironically, in spite of the Great Depression, and accellerated in the 1950s.....

I expect it was because of the depression rather than in spite of it. The depression forced people to move around the country in search of work and probably contributed to the mixing of regional cultures and cuisines.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Well, actually all I had in mind was the Rural Electrification Administration, which was created in 1935. There had certainly always been a lot of movement around the country, though chiefly it was a westward movement. I was also not referring to changes in diet so much as changes in the kitchen, though you are correct that people did move around because of the depression, but probably more because of the dust bowl. I think there was even more movement during the two world wars and in those cases, chiefly to the north.

Changes in what people ate in this country changed over the years for reasons other than the introduction of modern conveniences in the kitchen. I'm sure there was a trend towards the consumption of more commercially prepared foods over the years and that may have even started well before the Civil War. After all, even then people lived in large cities and had to buy most or all their food. Those on the frontier, in contrast, had to make do on their own and as the expression goes, some years they had to slice their bread very thin. Those who lived like their ancestors did a few generations earlier in the Applachians, the Ozarks and a few other bypassed places often were living on the poorest sort of land, too. Another thing is that in thinking of past years like the colonial period, the years of the westward movement and so on, we tend to compress time and forget that 20 or 30 years is a very long time. Changes are always occurring, only not everyone knows it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Add in various waves of immigrants bringing their cuisine and then returning GIs from the World Wars doing the same (the french frie had been introduced to the US by Thomas Jefferson in the 1700s but didn't become popular until doughboys from WWI discovered it)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Interesting read. Lewis and Clark took a dried soup. Better than pemmican.

I wonder how much Salmon was eaten. I bought a wee book yesterday, 'Traditional Scottish Recipes'. Funny how the landed gentry ate whitefish and sole whilst the workers were given salmon and venison as it was so common.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Lewis & Clark also took an air rifle with them!

I might mention here, since someone has a book about Traditional Scottish Recipes, that I used to associate with a number of Scots and English (some even married to one another!) back in our country dancing days. Now and then we'd have a night with home-made snacks and such and I usually made a plate of shortbread, made with a recipe straight out of another book of Scottish recipes. The Scottish-born always said it didn't seem that sweet, which the American-born invariably remarked on how awfully sweet it was. It's nothing more than sugar, flour, butter with a little more sugar for flavor. Nothing to it. If nothing else, it illustrates how differently the same thing can be construed.

While successive waves of immigrants brought their own ideas of cooking, it usually took a while before the latest additions to the American Cookbook to be tried out by those who were already there. For instance, I grew up in a place where 95% of the local inhabitants were descended from people who arrived before, oh, probably around 1800 or not much later, and most of them were either from the British Isles or Germany. Yet there were also people who I knew who had been born in Italy. They were all about the same age; older than my father, not as old as my grandmother, so I expect they all came at about the same time. They all lived in towns (or so-called coal camps). The did have their own things to eat that "we" didn't eat, like spaghetti and pizza. That was before the day of a pizza shop down at the mall. But we never had stuff like that at our house. That took another generation. Now we have Mexican food and a few South American foods like Quinoa, the latest thing. And we've even added sausages and mash to the list of approved dishes, since our trip to the old country. And I've always loved tomatoes for breakfast but I eat them raw!!!!
I really don't know what rich people eat and there never were any rich cowboys (not to be confused with ranchers).

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......While successive waves of immigrants brought their own ideas of cooking, it usually took a while before the latest additions to the American Cookbook to be tried out by those who were already there. For instance, I grew up in a place where 95% of the local inhabitants were descended from people who arrived before, oh, probably around 1800 or not much later, and most of them were either from the British Isles or Germany. Yet there were also people who I knew who had been born in Italy. They were all about the same age; older than my father, not as old as my grandmother, so I expect they all came at about the same time. They all lived in towns (or so-called coal camps). The did have their own things to eat that "we" didn't eat, like spaghetti and pizza.........

You must be older than I thought then; spaghetti was already well entrenched in the US (North and South) by the end of WWI in 1918 and Chef-Boyardee was common in almost every store.

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
To Santaman, you miss my point and anyway, I'm not that old. I'm only 67. But my point is that even though new things to eat may have been around, in some place many people never "took" to the new things. They just kept right on eating the same things their grandparents ate. Not only that, they retained may of the old ways that had been abandoned or forgotten by other more progressive folks. Oddly enough, the Settlement Cookbook, originally introduced about a hundred years ago for the purpose of teaching immigrants how to "cook American," included many, many recipes from the old countries. It also had instructions on how to build a fire, too.

Probably situations like that only existed in relatively isolated and bypassed places. I grew up in a place at a time when one-room school houses were still being built, although that day is gone. Instead they have school busses with four-wheel drive. I lived in town myself but some neighbors still used wood-burning cook stoves. They were all old widows, though. Anyway, just because it was in the store didn't mean we every bought any. The same is true now, too. There are vegetables for sale in the produce section that I don't even recognize, all for people from Asia.

There were a fair number of people who came from Scotland in the region, though I think they were technically Scotch-Irish. In fact, my step-mother's name was McKinney, which I assume to be Scotch-Irish. So I wonder why haggis didn't survive as an imported food?

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Lewis & Clark also took an air rifle with them!

I might mention here, since someone has a book about Traditional Scottish Recipes, that I used to associate with a number of Scots and English (some even married to one another!) back in our country dancing days. Now and then we'd have a night with home-made snacks and such and I usually made a plate of shortbread, made with a recipe straight out of another book of Scottish recipes. The Scottish-born always said it didn't seem that sweet, which the American-born invariably remarked on how awfully sweet it was. It's nothing more than sugar, flour, butter with a little more sugar for flavor. Nothing to it. If nothing else, it illustrates how differently the same thing can be construed.

I find that strange when the Americans seem to like their bread sweet?!?!? Love lots of things in America for eating but the bread is too sweet for my liking.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
There were a fair number of people who came from Scotland in the region, though I think they were technically Scotch-Irish. In fact, my step-mother's name was McKinney, which I assume to be Scotch-Irish. So I wonder why haggis didn't survive as an imported food?

Is there much sheep farming in the area? You need access to the offal to make the haggis.

Also haggis has been under an import ban since 1971. (not that I can blame them - I hate the stuff - yuck!!)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
There are few sheep or cattle raised in the area where I grew up, although there were lots of "hardscrabble" farms at one time. Migration into that part of the country probably had ceased by about 1840, by which time people were still picking up and moving even further west, just like Daniel Boone. However, once, back in my Scottish dancing days, which ended about 30 years ago, we made a trip back into the hills of Virginia, not far from Staunton. Someone had organized a little Scottish festival and we were invited to do a little demonstration. There were even pipers. Someone showed up in a kilt! He was Scottish and was a sheep farmer somewhere up in the hills. We were all suitably impressed. There was no haggis at that event.

However, one was always produced for Hogmanay and such like but I don't know where it came from. At least one person was always available who recite the "Ode," but that pretty much it for haggis. And speaking of cowboys, one of the old time cattle drive trails had a Scottish name: Chisholm.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I find that strange when the Americans seem to like their bread sweet?!?!? Love lots of things in America for eating but the bread is too sweet for my liking.

Short bread is not bread though is it? I'm sure it is considered a biscuit although funnily enough cookie means little cake in french or something like that anyway.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

We don't. But we consider "shortbread" a desert rather than a bread. At least those who eat it at all do; TBH it's not really all that popular here.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would have thought that dried food and stuff preserved in Kilner type jars would have been the most common way of transporting food about back then.

Depends on just how far back is "back then." Dried foods were and still are common as was/is pickling, smoking, etc. But tinned foods have been used since they became widely available.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE