Course recomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2014
Ireland
Hi all.
I recently had what I would call a grim realisation that if anything happened to me in the forest I would be either 1 in DEEP trouble or 2 DIE!!
I am very much a novice at this, I camp out a lot but dont actually have the skills to survive if something goes wrong. I know there are plenty of 1 week courses in the UK to give people a grounding in bushcraft but was wondering what peoples recommendations are for a good course to go on that I can build from to become more confident in the wild.
Any recommendations for this newbie would be appreciated.
Pat

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Your first course should be a First Aid course, its as essential as learning to light a fire.

Google bushcraft in Ireland, a lot will come up, try and find a group you can meet and camp with, you'll learn a lot and its free training.

There are quite a few people over here who are incredibly knowledgeable but keep it below the radar, you will learn as much from them as you would I any course and it won't cost you anything, you don't need to pay for knowledge and good instruction if you don't have to.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
:jacked:

i'm looking for a course too! - somewhere not too far away (3 hrs max) from Reading.

ideally looking at 5th - 7th June

prices seem to vary hugely!

Aug 27, 2014
Ireland
Googled a few here in Ireland but went to a "Bushcraft" show recently which proved to be anything but. Left a sour taste in my mouth. Major plus is it would be an excuse to get away for a week or so.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
:jacked:

i'm looking for a course too! - somewhere not too far away (3 hrs max) from Reading.

ideally looking at 5th - 7th June

prices seem to vary hugely!

Hi Chaard,

Try 'Trueways Survival' which is run by John 'Lofty' Wiseman, they do courses within 3 hours away from Reading, I went on a course with my son two years ago on a 5 day course, they do 2 day to 5 day courses and when you have completed the 5 day course you can then take a 7 day course up in the Lake District where you are on your own but being monitored by the Survival Team excellent course and the instructors are brilliant, price wise I think is pretty good!

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
I've just posted a reply on another thread, recommending TrueWays.
After attending one of their 5 day survival courses.

But one distinction they made early on was: The difference between survival and bushcraft. One is a life choice/interest that you prepare for, the other is a traumatic situation thrust upon you.
What TrueWays were teaching was short term survival. Which I think is what Pat was looking for.

(And I would happily recommend that school.)

Jules

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Your first course should be a First Aid course, its as essential as learning to light a fire.

Google bushcraft in Ireland, a lot will come up, try and find a group you can meet and camp with, you'll learn a lot and its free training.
Got to agree that a good first aid course is the minimum.

" ...if anything happened to me in the forest I would be either 1 in DEEP trouble or 2 DIE!! ..."

Usually the worst that can happen in the British Isles is you are lost/immobile and injured. If that's the case you need to be able to patch yourself up wrap up warm so you are still breathing when the local search and rescue team arrive to carry you out. A fist aid course which is focussed on the outdoors (First Aid at Work is not appropriate) will teach you about environmental injuries (hypothermia, heat exhaustion, etc.) and basic trauma. From that you make sure you have the right and sufficient kit with you to keep you alive. Add to that a working smartphone to call 999 and to respond to the SARLOC (GPS phone tracking system) text message and you're never really more than a couple of hours from safety.

General bushcraft courses are OK and a lot of fun but if I'm in deep doodoo I'll reach for the matches or lighter to start a fire to keep warm before I try fashioning a bowdrill from scratch and the trauma dressing instead of spagnum moss if I'm bleeding out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE