Couple of spoons.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Earlier this year I cut down a shrub we had growing in the garden. It had been neglected, and was very "leggy" with old wood. I saved a couple of pieces of the wood to see if it was any good for spoons. If I remember correctly, the shrub was Leptospermum Laevigatum. Here are the results.

First a carved spoon, an attempt at a blatant copy of Forginhill's style of spoon (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery)

Next a cooking spoon, with a lathe turned handle.

Finally a honey dipper, also lathe turned. This wood seems to turn well with a good finish.

Thanks for looking.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I vote for the cooking spoon for the heart wood inclusion. The others are very well crafted.
I've never used a honey dipper. Into the honey, onto the food, what happens to the dipper thing?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
They're lovely. Really nice work.

Thanks crosslandkelly!

I vote for the cooking spoon for the heart wood inclusion. The others are very well crafted.
I've never used a honey dipper. Into the honey, onto the food, what happens to the dipper thing?

It does look like it might be quite wasteful of honey, but the answer is to have a dedicated honey pot which the dipper lives in. When I find suitable jars in the charity shops I like to turn wooden lids for them, with a notch in the rim for the handle of the honey dipper to go through. Although, to be honest, I'd probably rather use a small spoon for my honey drizzling requirements, and then lick it clean afterwards!

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I like all three! Nice work, and that wood sure is attractive. Good on you too for giving the old shrub a fine reincarnation. I like the side profile of that spoon in the second photo. Very elegant. I'm thinking we'll be seeing more great spoons from you...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE