Couple of small meths stoves (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I spotted the Monkey Boy stove on here a while ago (can't seem to find it now) and thought that I needed to have a go at that as it would be perfect for my brew kit.

I had some carbon felt from Minibull so I thought that I'd give it a go. I also needed a tiny stove for my camping espresso machine.

I knocked up a couple of stands for them and here you go...

img01.jpg

img02.jpg

img03.jpg

img04.jpg

img05.jpg

img06.jpg

img07.jpg

img08.jpg

img09.jpg

img10.jpg

img11.jpg

The tiny espresso jobbie is made from the cartridge from an asthma inhaler that I fond on the way home from the shops. I recon it holds about 1 to 2 ml brimmed. Both flames blue up a bit more when the pots are on.

Neither ar the fastest stoves out there but they are convenient and are easy to fill/use. The vaseline stove boil 1 pint in about 10 mins out in a freezing (literally) cold shed and ran for about 14-15 mins. The baby one runs just long enough to make the coffee which is about 5 mins. Either an be picked up a couple of mins after going out :)

The mug is a Vargo Ti-Lite and I can fit the stove + stand in along with a carbon felt windscreen and a bunch of tea bags and milk straws etc. Enough to make 3 or 4 pints of tea;).

This carbon felf stuff is brilliant :cool:

Cheers

Grebby

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
OK I give up! been trying to find some carbon felt all afternoon and have failed :( any clues please? brand names? what is its intended use? thank you

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Nice stoves, I have also made a few like that. I added a remote feed to mine which comes in handy especially the little stoves that need a top up every couple of minutes.

Never seen carbon felt sold here so I get mine from minibulldesign. $10 for a carbon felt windscreen plus $5 shipping to the UK. Well under the import charge limit so no extra charges to pay.

Steve.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I also had to get the carbon felt from minibull designs (not sure if I am allowed to link to the website but just google it). I also got a MISO stove as well for more sublte cooking (and its a work of art) so adding the remote feed isn't going to happen to these stoves.

I also did the maths on what amount of felt you got for what price and the windscreen is is the most cost effective purchase.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
very nice, like you said it perfect for a brew, good job :) nice to see people giving the little monkey boy stove a chance

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
Nice, I like the little diddy one

It only takes 2ml though? Should that be 20ml?

The 2ml was a bit of a guess:eek:

I just measured it.

It's 2cm external diameter and 1.5cm high.

That works out at 4.7ml

The bottom is domed in though, and there is the carbon felt in there and the wall thickness to take into account.

That said it's only a dribble of meths probably on reflection in the 3-4ml range. When I next fill it I'll use a syringe and measure the amount to brim it.

Looking at the pics it's a bit difficult to get the scale of the coffee maker. It and the enamel mug are small. The mug is espresso size. The squares in the stand are 1/2 inch.

Cheers

Grebby

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The 2ml was a bit of a guess:eek:

I just measured it.

It's 2cm external diameter and 1.5cm high.

That works out at 4.7ml

The bottom is domed in though, and there is the carbon felt in there and the wall thickness to take into account.

That said it's only a dribble of meths probably on reflection in the 3-4ml range. When I next fill it I'll use a syringe and measure the amount to brim it.

Cheers

Grebby

It's much smaller than I thought from the photo then, even cuter :)

I use a piece of dowel to flatten out the bottom in my stoves, a hammer handle works well too if it'll fit.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
I just had to go and see...:rolleyes:

Meths was pooling on the surface of the felt at 3.5ml.

I lit it and the total burn time until it went out 8:20.54 :eek:
That said it was barely a flame at the end.

I would say it was full strength for 4-5 mins then started dropping off.

I could pick it up straight after it went out, it was a bit hot, I had to sort of roll it up and down my fingers otherwise it was a bit uncomfortable. 30 sec later it was fine.

It's a cute little one isn't it:eek: Only of use that I can see for this coffee machine.... but hey ho, thats want I want it for:cool:

Cheers

Grebby

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
For carbon felt I went to my local DIY store and found a plumber's cloth. Used to insulate pipes/fittings when soldering/brazing. Curs up nicely to make stove wicks.
Love the espresso maker.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Most of those plumbers soldering mats over here are just woven glass fibre and dyed black. I know 'cos I bought a couple thinking they were carbon and found it wasn't!

Steve.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive tried sourcing within the uk but its astronomical in price and they would only do a full roll (over 1300 quid :eek:). Should be getting a price for a 1200 x 1000 x 10 mm piece from china in the morning. Am hoping it will be about $80.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
PM me your address mate and i'll pop you a couple of asthma inhaler cylinders in the post so you can have a play for yourself

stuart

Cheers for the offer Stu but I don't have anything I could use for that wick, unless a bit of glass fibre welding mat would work?

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Grebby, I got a few screwtop tins & made a mistake in the ordering, so ended up with some 3.5cm x 1.4cm. If you want one to make a stove for your espresso pot that you can carry filled (on a day's bimble for example) drop me a PM with an address & I'll send one out to you.

Shewie, a bit of the welder's mat, or some fibreglass roof insulation does fine for a wick (I use hte insulation with welder's mat on top - keeps it neater). You're welcome to a wee tin as well if you want to try one.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Would silica needlemat do instead for a wick? If so I could discover a few offcuts in the boot of my car one friday afternoon ;-).

It's a white fibre, needled mat that has a temp rating of 1100C. I know a match / lighter has a temp about 730C (measured with a IR temp sensor at work) but reckon meths burns at a lower temp though. Should easily cope with the heat but not sure how it would work as a wick.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE