country skills and objects #8

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
heres a goodie! so guys what was this used for?

ll1.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes one wonders about other folks childhoods :eek:

:D
My rocking horse had a real leather saddle.........my Dad carved the horse and made the saddle out of an old briefcase :)

M

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
you wind a cord around the spindle and place the in the ground , then pull so the mirrors or glass rotate , the larks think its water and descend then you trap/shoot them as they land

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D I reckon you're never too old to have a good one :D

Poor wee larks, there surely can't be much eating in them ? That's as bad as the Spanish who come over here to shoot and end up shooting everything from robins to blackbirds...........I know of one woodland estate owner who rented them the shoot thinking they'd take out the deer :rolleyes: nope, not a one, but every wee bird they came across :sigh:

Wish we had larks instead of magpies.

cheers,
M

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Use of mirrors to catch birds is illegal now, even in a larsen trap to catch the decoy.

I've never eaten small passerines but my mum had rook and sparrow pies during rationing. Better than nothing I suppose.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I mind rook pies, my Dad liked them, just like pigeons I suppose, but the local rookeries are still full of thousands of birds. Larks don't breed in such numbers do they ? :dunno:

cheers,
M

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I mind rook pies, my Dad liked them, just like pigeons I suppose, but the local rookeries are still full of thousands of birds. Larks don't breed in such numbers do they ? :dunno:

cheers,
M

Larks do ok in the grassy uplands and on sympathetic arable farms. As open ground nesters they are vulnerable to predation. Where there are wild game bird keepers Larks do well, as well as waders like Lapwing and Stone Curlew.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like lapwings - amazing flying displays at the right time of year. Curlews (we get loads) are plain old creepy with that call!

I think you can still use dazzling lights on feral pigeons....hang on...

Yep 2012 General licence

(it is permitted)
in relation to the killing or taking of
Feral Pigeon (Columba livia) only:

i. to use any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting;

ii. to use any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device.

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE