Cot-Tents - any suggestions.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello all ,
I will be starting a property refurbishment soon and living on site for a length of time , after my last refurbishment project I promised I'd find a better sleeping option as pulling rubble and building dust out from a sleeping bag and cheapo camp bed wasn't much fun.

So I'm looking at what I think would be called Cot-Tent / Cot Beds - that is fully enclosed sleeping 'beds' that can be hastily transported and used.

I've found this Company ( UK based ) who do the following http://www.cot-tent.co.uk/index.php

and also seen a company offer something similar on Amazon called Kamp Rite.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...ing-Portable-Sleeping/315345_32306731589.html

Looking for any other similar suggestions or anything I've missed , UK preferred but price will be the leading factor.

Cheers

TD

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
I think I would be more tempted to buy a cheap pop up tent and put a cot bed inside it therefore more room. I would then probably throw it away without feeling guilty at the end of the project.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I think you need to consider your intended use. These cot beds aren't really designed for extended use in UK weather. The flat roofs are going to pool with water eventually. Internal space and storage is minimal. I think there would be better solutions that fit your needs.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I guess you are looking at something you can move around the site easily. Will you be semi-sheltered?

If you don't need to move it often, I'd buy an old canvas frame tent and set that up. If you could bodge (carefully!) a solid fuel stove in it, that would be well comfy (the stove would help keep things dry).

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
The Kamp Rite is excellent. I have the oversize (not double) version. Imported from America.

They are quite heavy, so not for backpacking, but very comfortable and surprisingly roomy.

I use mine primarily for fishing, but would quite happily sleep out in a Scottish Winter type scenario.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Reason for use I'm more thinking , chuck it in the back of the wagon for quick impromptu sleep outs but mainly it will be for property refurbishment - surprising how cold some properties can get inside after you've disassembled the Boiler. The enclosed space should keep it dust & debris free , and allow a pocket of warmth.

I'm not intending to lug this around for camping.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It sounds like you want it. Why not just buy it?

Personally I think they look really cool but would probably go for a fishing bed chair and bivvy because it'll have a bit more storage.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Why not get a brit army cot bed and fit the hooped mossies net that's designed for it?

"Pocket of warmth", "rubble and dust"', "fully enclosed". An army cot doesn't fit the criteria. For me, a net makes me feel too exposed, I like the cave like feel of being able to close the zip on a tent. Love hammocking etc, but sometimes (like in a building), sealing off the tent feels more comfortable.

I'm intrigued by these. One (yet another :rolleyes:) of those things I think I need, but don't. Pure gadgetry for me, possibly a temporary home for you. Looking around at the links, Phil prices his competitively.

If if you get one and spend some nights in it, could you report back? I have two very comfortable fishing bedchairs and either put them in the belltent or tarp over (car camping). I get excellent sleep on these beds and they're well insulated and cushioned to the point where it really is a bed. Tarp won't work for you in your situation, it's good to see a niche product that does.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
"Pocket of warmth", "rubble and dust"', "fully enclosed". An army cot doesn't fit the criteria. For me, a net makes me feel too exposed, I like the cave like feel of being able to close the zip on a tent. Love hammocking etc, but sometimes (like in a building), sealing off the tent feels more comfortable.

I'm intrigued by these. One (yet another :rolleyes:) of those things I think I need, but don't. Pure gadgetry for me, possibly a temporary home for you. Looking around at the links, Phil prices his competitively.

If if you get one and spend some nights in it, could you report back? I have two very comfortable fishing bedchairs and either put them in the belltent or tarp over (car camping). I get excellent sleep on these beds and they're well insulated and cushioned to the point where it really is a bed. Tarp won't work for you in your situation, it's good to see a niche product that does.

Ok , quick update on this:-

Just pulled the trigger on one of these units -will let you know what I think when I get it and my thoughts after use.

Now the Important bit , I had a nice chat with the Gent in charge , due to some sort of storage issues his end he has around 60 units ( across the range ) that have a covering of Mildew , nothing too serious but something he will be cleaning up and then selling at a discount as not in perfect condition.

So , the discount offered seems to be £70 off each unit price. :)

That could be possibly more if people are prepared to take one uncleaned and do the cleaning work themselves.

So there you go , decent discount off a unit , if you do end up ordering one please do it by Phone and tell him TeeDee from the Bushcraft forum sent you his way.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So , quick bump - Ok I've only used this inside any empty house but - so Damn Comfy!!!

I'll do a better review when I have time but its exactly what I wanted , I realise its not for everyone and its not that light ( 13 kgs iirc ) but for leaving in the back of my 4x4 and having the ability to just chuck it down , throw my sleeping rig in and be good to go in 3 mins flat is good for me.

It has Midge nets on all four sides each with their own zips , also cover flaps that go over the midge nets so this allows a degree of air flow moderation and the ability to observe your surroundings from the luxury of feeling inside.
At either end on the inside are some pockets hanging from the roof , ideal for bits and bobs and .

Slung under the lounger is a zippable bag ideal for storing clothing or anything you may want near to hand.

Very comfy , I mean really comfy - I went for the the Oversized version.

Also the oversized is in a nice forest Green as opposed to the Blue.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE