Corkscrew for the sliver birch sap?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Could anyone point me in the right direction for the corkscrew bit thingymajig that Ray Mears used on his bushcraft series to drill the sap out of the silver birch tree?

It was kind of like a long drill bit/corkscrew with a metal loop in the end so a stick could be inserted as a handle to turn it. He made that sap sound so tasty i thought i'd give it go.

Thanks,

Boosh.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Try searching for auger bit. ;)

You don't actually need to mutilate the tree to get sap btw, you can get a fair bit in the spring just by piercing the bark quite deeply with the point of your knife. :)

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
what do you guys use as i would like to give it a go in the spring ?
leon

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
He used a brace and bit,but as mentioned above a knife works well too.
Drive the tip in so it goes all the way through the bark, give it a little wiggle so the bark doesn't close up and seal itself again Put a pot to collect the sap under neath.
Come back some time later...

If you do a search on birch sap you'll find several threads on it .

Mark

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
When is the best time to give this a go ? Dont want to cause any damage s when evers safe :)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
dwardo said:
When is the best time to give this a go ? Dont want to cause any damage s when evers safe :)

Early Spring - "When the hazel leaf buds are about the size of a squirrel's toe" is Ray's suggestion.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Well that was a good result, i checked the prices of a 1"scotch eyed auger and they were'nt cheap, some around £30 or more. I typed it into ebay and there was one result, and i just got a brand new one for £2.50! :D

Can't grumble at that!

Thanks again,

Boosh.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
don't forget to plug the hole you have made, when your finished....Just whittle down a stick, till it fits the hole you made, tightly, bang it in, then saw off flush....

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Jon Pickett said:
don't forget to plug the hole you have made, when your finished....Just whittle down a stick, till it fits the hole you made, tightly, bang it in, then saw off flush....

Yep, remember seeing RM do that on the telly. Cheers.

Boosh.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Boosh said:
Yep, remember seeing RM do that on the telly. Cheers.

Boosh.
Don't expect it to be really tasty, its just like water liqure, but with no alcohol in. Like a partially flavoured and heavier water....Hope that is a good description....
You can make wine from it though....I have a recipe somewhere, if you want it....

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
i collected some before. It was not very taisty but very refreshing, like substancial water but with something extra. It was very cold at the time, maybe the cold stopped me from taisting it as much. Next time i might leave it in my house to warm a little or i might boil it down to a syrup. :)

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
scanker said:
From your description, it sounds like a brace and bit, I can't remember what he used.

Always tickles me the way he will be talking about survival, in the artic for example, and then pull out a bloody big auger for cutting through a metre of ice. Personally I always carry one of those in my pocket...just in case. From memory it was a pretty standard hand drill with a wood auger attached :lmao:

fergus77

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2006
Portreath, Cornwall
Hey all,

Just to add to the thread, i bought an auger from a local secondhand tool store. I think the diameter is 1/4 inch but cant be sure. You need to look for the ones BT used. Hope this helps..Sometimes they came up on ebay

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Here's a question for those who don't use an auger, just a knife: how are you putting a tap in, and how are you sealing the hole afterwards?

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
You could use a piece of folded bark to make a channel - could do the same to plug the hole I guess - you're only talking about a small slit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE