Cord storage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, today I came to the conclusion that I need to find an easy way of carrying approx 3m of 2mm dyneema with me in my handbag. I could easily make it up into bracelet type thing along the lines of the many. But ideally I would like something nice and compact whereby I can undo the end of it, pull on the cord, and the whole thing unravels, a shortcoming of the paracord bracelets.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

J

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What about a kinder egg capsule, wind stri g in to a ball and put in capsule, make hole in one end poke free end through, kind of like a mini string container every home used to have.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I use a Butterfly hank

Wrap the cord in a figure-of-Eight around thumb and little finger.

When you have about 18 - 24 inches (45 - 60cm) left, stop after the thumb

Take off your hand and transfer back to the same hand

Use the remaining cord to wrap around the bundle, finishing with a slippery half hitch

I've had a look at Youtube but there's nothing that mirrors the same finish as I do

To use the cord, you simply pull out the cord from the middle of the bundle - it pays out without tangles and remains as a viable hank until it is all used.

HTH

Ogri the trog

Might have to investigate putting up a vid myself........

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
You could daisy chain it.untuck the end from the last link and pull and it all unravels.

I thought about that as my first option. But it's too bulky to drop into a handbag, and for it to reliably come out later, it would only get tangled up in the other items in the handbag... like a Bahco saw... Svord peasant... crusader cup... 1L SS Nalgene bottle... Camera... Brompton...

J

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
...or.... if you're carrying a bag.... wrap it around the strap like a whipping and pull the free end partially under the whipping, leaving a tag to pull to release.

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
Nice thread :cool:
I guess my tuppence would depend on if I needed it for quick deploymentor not, long term storage is in an air tight container, but out and about I have a small leather firelighting kit bag and so long as there isn'nt too much in the way of flint it's pretty good to go.
I like the knot lins, guess Im heading there next.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Not wanting to start a new thread, but this is how I hank all my guy lines or bundles of cordage. Big advantage is that you can take what you need and then retighten the whole bundle without having to re-hank it all over again.

[video=youtube_share;mVIStGXuTD8]https://youtu.be/mVIStGXuTD8[/video]
[video=youtube_share;34Iu2FUcOng]https://youtu.be/34Iu2FUcOng[/video]

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
I use the butterfly hank method, it's a really neat way of keeping cordage tidy if you then put it in a bag.
However it kept tangling up when I tried carrying a hank in my pocket.

So for paracord I rig up a sort of grenade shape for quick deployment see vid below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHTg5hK5mZM&t=2s

I also carry spare paracord as cobra braid lanyards, very neat but not quick to deploy.

For thinner cord like bankline I have two methods - I either double it and then make a simple slipknot - daisy chain for easy deployment then use it as a lanyard.

Or recently I used the bankline like whipping on an aluminium canister on my keychain - finishing it off with some half hitches. I prefer this approach as the cordage is much straighter when deployed and also you can store a lot of cordage for relatively little space, turning the outside of the cannister into a reel. Pro tip - A drop of wood glue on the end will keep the cordage from untangling until needed.

hope this helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE