Coracle Instructions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Hello all!

Newbie here thought I would give you all a big hello as I plan to on these forums a lot! I have a few projects that I want to do to improve my bushcraft skills and I hope you guys can give me hints and tips on how to get them done.

I would also like to personally thank all those people who have taken the time to send in some fantastic articles that a long with a couple of books have been my entire schooling on bushcraft!

I am now looking to go big and attempt to make a coracle. This has been a dream of mine for a while and after meeting a nice bloke who let me use his this summer my desire has been greatened.

I have read several threads on these forums but infortunately there are no proper instructions! Does anyone have any? I have been tempted to try it by eye but as its my first one I am not sure whether its a good idea or not!

Let me know what you guys think!

Teej

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Thanks Nick for your reply,

have found a few more bits and bobs around on the internet to give me a hand but nothing really decent I guess it will be up to me to do, perhaps a video! I am going to scout around this weekend for a decent source of willow I am fortunate to have two different local woods with permission to play!

Came across Hannu's Boatyard just and it seems to have plenty of decent little boats and how to make them but the coracle is from plywood so I am still searching.
http://personal.eunet.fi/pp/gsahv/#XX7

Failing willow are there and other types of wood that would be acceptable?

Any other feedback on this would be good!

TJ

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Ewe for the edges
Nick

Are you sure Nick,
I've heard of a bull-boat but never one made from a sheep ;)

TJ,
making one by eye is probably the better way as you're likely to learn more under your own trial and error, than build one to instructions and not thinking about why certain features are included or omitted.

And welcome to the forum too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Teej84

Nov 13, 2007
Solihull
www.thomasjupe.com
Hey thanks to everyone for their posts,

John Fenna - unfortunately it looks like the museum's website is down even when I adjusted its url maybe if they fix it in a few weeks i'll have another look.

Jojo - I have looked at torjugs posts there are some brilliant photos there!

everyone else - Thanks for your interest I will keep you updated here on progress

I am heading down to one of my haunts this weekend spoken to some guys who recon there will be just what I need if i 'go deep enough!' hope they weren't just having a laugh!

I may work on making a type of shaving horse down in the woods to make things quicker this weekend esp since it is a private woods and there isn't much of a problem with vandals. (its in a urban area!) I will also locate the materials I want to use and then next weekend crack on with it. Think I am going to go for a Teifi coracle!

Will try and video as much of the building process as posible because there are no videos on the net as far as i could see.

Tj

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE