Coprolite polishing

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Any day now I'll be off harvesting the soft rushes I use to make rushlights, herself may have a go at doing some work with them as well.

Anyroad to this end this year I decided to get a dedicated knife for cutting them, something fixed with a hooked end, thin bladed and capable of being made very sharp.

fifty pence got me suitable donor blade which had a shot handle. About 20 minutes with a band saw and bench sander saw ithe derusted blade remounted on a scrap of what I think is birds eye maple. I'll make a sheath for it tomorrow like the one I made for the wife's gardening knife. It's 8 inch in all and the handles held on with epoxy and brass pins. The steels taken a evilly sharp edge.

image.jpg1_zps79ody98t.jpg

It will do me. Ill get a lad to stick it in a jar of linseed oil overnight.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Um...

The blades maker produced leather workers tools in Sheffield up until about 1954 so it was a fairly ancient t<rd!

Along these vague lines I'm looking for a old grass hook / sickle to alter to look like those in a late Anglo Sacon manuscript

http://wyrtig.com/EarlyGardens/British/EarlyBritishGardens/LaborsOfTheMonths/06June.htm

For various reasons I didn't get a Bere Barley crop this year so even though ill probably only get 75% germination being the second year stored we will be planting in the spring. I'd like to get the lad something that looks right for when it needs harvesting. He's Been hard at it digging and weeding and looks like he will get a plot 15 yards by 20 or 22 done. His plan is to then weed it every week and I'm to get a load of manure for him to dig in so it can rot in over the winter. Basically he's doing all the prep work I thought I could cram into early spring now while the weathers good.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Look on ebay for an old sickle. They aren't trendy like scythes so sell for tuppence. I got a (prob victorian) one for £4.50 including postage. It sees use around the garden.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE