Cooking trout fillets on a fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Spear the fillets like a kebab and push the stick into the ground at a 20ish degree over the fire with the flesh side facing the fire.

SW

I hung some over the fire for a few hours high up , then droped them down for 5 mins just before eating they were very nice :)

Does that intensify the flavour? To be honest I usually blast it hot as hell at home for 20 mins in the oven with a splash of olive oil/butter and rubbed in garlic and it's pretty damn good! Fillets are fairly thin so they cook pretty quick.

Leo

Dec 18, 2008
Durham.
Using various forms of cooking trout (most mentioned above) that I've caught while camping, I've used flavourings such as parsley, garlic, lemon/lime juice, butter and chilli powder to name but a few. I often took tin-foil if I fancied making a rock-steamer.
They've all turned out good.

You could put the fish on a set up like below:
(http://mungobah.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-catch-clean-and-cook-fish-while.html)

1.JPG

I cook whole fish wrapped in mud and grass and in the embers. Fillets would be quicker and nicer done another way. Have a look at Toddy's tutorial on making the willow tray. You can stick a fillet on the tray and place it on the embers and that would do it a treat. I would make it with less sticks and it would work like a trout basket for bbq's.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Place some ramson leaves on the fillet with some lemon juice, roll them up and either stick them in tin foil, make a grill from new hazel or willow (willow can sometimes leave a taste on the food) or a sharp stick near the fire.

Great thing about cooking fish outside is not stinking the house out!

Last time i cooked fish (mackerel) whilst out we used a cheap skillet over the fire. Oily fish is much easier to cook outdoors ;) Very nice it was too!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I suppose you could heat up a flat rock, pull it out of the fire and place the fillets skin side down on it.
It should only take about 5 - 6 minutes to cook.

Does that intensify the flavour? To be honest I usually blast it hot as hell at home for 20 mins in the oven with a splash of olive oil/butter and rubbed in garlic and it's pretty damn good! Fillets are fairly thin so they cook pretty quick.

Leo

There was a slight smoke flavour to it but not to much , you have to watch out for muppets chucking plastic on the fire though ehh Andrew :p
With the price of fish you have to make sure you cook it right I am going for a cook less aproch these days

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Fish is one of the easiest things to cook, may people ( and I used to do this myself all the time ) over cook fish. The flesh of fish cooks at approx 80 degrees C -according to Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall anyway, most fillets will cook with in 5 -8 mins depending on thickness. There is a tendency, especially when cooking outside to cook things until they are nearly burnt, the fear of getting poisoned etc. I'm not going to say anything on this, other than it ruins the taste of fish.

Using a preheated hot flat rock, as mentioned above sounds the ideal way to cook. Pop em skin side down, and the fish will cook lovely - the skin will be crisp and the flesh cooked all the way through - you don't need to have to rock on or near the fire while doing so either, so if you don't want as much smoke flavour on it, it's no problem.. plus if it should fall off for some reason you don't have to brush all the embers and ash off the bits you manage to salvage.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I can still remember the fantastic taste and aroma of blue bass which I caught on a frog and cooked outside while I was in canada. They were large fish, 13 to 15 inches. I gutted them, washed them in the lake, then rubbed with salt. Then stuffed with a mixture of bread and chopped onions, and a tiny dot of butter and then wrapped in foil. We used an old car wheel as a oven, light a fire inside it, wait for the embers then bury the parcels of fish. They took 15 to 20 minutes. 2 or 3 of those set you up most of the day. Maybe it was because the fish were mega fresh, but I rarely tasted any better. no reason why it wouldnt work with trout?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have to say that straight out of the water and eaten raw is so nice it's unreal.
In fact, I did this when I was out fishing last week and do so most times, much to the disgust of my fishing buddy.

Fish doesn't need to be cooked and the Japanese rarely do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE