Cooking pots

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I like the tatonka, it was what I was gonna get until I stumbled across the highlander.
Google highlander billy can. It should come up on amazon.
Great little pot and cheap as chips.
Smaller than the tatonka but perfect for 1.
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
They are pretty good and make a viable alternative to the popular Zebra pots. It is worth attaching the little wire lid handle on with some wire to prevent loss. I do find the pad handle a bit tiresome when packing it up; that said, it is quite handy when used with a pot hanger over a fire. I've got a 1 litre one but wish I'd bought a 1.6 litre one - the extra capacity would be really useful. Overall, they are good, serviceable pans and good value.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like the second one. It's basicly the old Boy Scout mess kit in stainless and with a more modern handle. It's good for one person.

The theird looks good too but is more for a small groud (up to 3 adults)

Last edited:

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was just about to say the same as Kepis and it is worth repeating

Surplus and Outdoors, based in Kidderminster, are an excellent outfit and should not be confused with the other lot.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I was just about to say the same as Kepis and it is worth repeating

Surplus and Outdoors, based in Kidderminster, are an excellent outfit and should not be confused with the other lot.

Sorry, my mistake :rolleyes:, (to close to Friday) you're right, I have purchased from both Military and Outdoors, and Surplus and Outdoors before without problems.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Reason I asked was because of my methodology on cleaning them (I had the older aluminum Scout mess kit for years and years) I used to leave most of the soot outside cause it actually helped the pot's heat distribution. Maybe once a year or so I'd scrub it with a brillo pad at home.

Never had a lot of trouble with the foodstuffs inside but then again I never really did any fancy cooking with that small kit, just mainly reheating canned foods. At any rate most of my campsites back then were near a riverbank or similar so there was always a supply of sand to put into the pot to scrub with.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Remember when you choose your billy can that you can always half fill a large pot but can't make a small pot any bigger. I like a billy I can get a couple of rat-packs in and still have room for boil-in-the-bag rice or enough water for tea, or making up cous-cous. Also some folk like a pot wider than it is tall (good for a stove or hanging over a fire) others prefer a tall pot that can be pushed into the fireside. Choices-choices . . .

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Remember when you choose your billy can that you can always half fill a large pot but can't make a small pot any bigger. I like a billy I can get a couple of rat-packs in and still have room for boil-in-the-bag rice or enough water for tea, or making up cous-cous. Also some folk like a pot wider than it is tall (good for a stove or hanging over a fire) others prefer a tall pot that can be pushed into the fireside. Choices-choices . . .

Quite agree about size ... for storage and carrying as well as cooking use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE