Cooking Pigeon Outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Pigeon is best one of two ways; slow cooked in a casserole or pie, or very quickly flash fried. If you don't have the option of slow cooking on a low heat, then flash fry the breasts in oil, butter or whatever fat you have available. Like most game meat, they're very low in fat, so will dry out very quickly if not cooked in a sauce or just flash fried...

You know how to remove the breasts quickly and easily?

ODG

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I doubt that I do! I know how I get them off but it ain't quick or easy. :0)

OK, quick, easy (and dirty) method: Take one dead pigeon...
Twist the wing at the shoulder joint; keep twisting it round and round until you can pull the wing off completely. Do the same with the other one. Discard the wings (or pack them up for later burial/disposal, whatever the situation demands).
Use your knife (or a sharp stick if this is a survival situation) to make a hole in the base of the neck of the bird, just above the breasts. Get your fingers into the hole, making it large enough to at least get both your thumbs in. Snap the neck backwards if you need more room.
Get your thumbs into the neck cavity, one bracing behind the breast (fingers on the breast itself), the other bracing against the spine (fingers on the back of the bird), and pull apart. The breast should come out in one piece, as it's not actually attached to any other part of the body by any hard tissue.

You can now slice the two breast fillets from the breastbone and cook. (If this is a survival situation, you can either cook as is, or peel the main breast off with your fingers, and get the tenders off with a sharp, flat, stick or stone.)

You having trouble sleeping too?

Nah - I'm in the middle of moving house, and was packing boxes! I'm up early again to do some more packing, then it's off to the storage place!

Hope this helps!

ODG

Reactions: Toddy

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Oh yes - forgot to mention the spatchcock method... Best way to spatch is to split the bird up the backbone, actually removing the whole spine. Then just skewer through the leg to the opposite wing, and repeat for the other side.

Nice improv method from British Red, though! :)

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
nobby said:
Suggestions for cooking a brace of pigeon outdoors would be very welcome.
Cheers

I used to pluck them, spatchcock them and shove them on the grill but there's not much meat anywhere else but the breasts so now I split them down the breastbone, get the fingers under the skin and a knife between the breast and ribs and breast them. With a few twigs strategically placed what's left could be used as a decoy.

If you want to spend a bit more time making them acceptable to people who won't give them a try cut the breasts up finely (or mince them if you are back at home) with some fat bacon, breadcrumbs and mushrooms, make them into patties and call them verminburgers. Fry them in a pan rather than on a grill because the don't hold together very well.

Hmmmm...I regret donating my air rifle to the scouts when I moved to the big city...I might treat myself next month.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Never tried Pigeon, I Would love to though.
Being in the center of london i would have Armed response ontop of me if i tried shooting one with an airrifle :D
I might ask my butcher if he can get any.
Seeing as his rabbit comes from Taiwan or somewhere equaly as far i doubt he can get any.
Does it taste like chicken? :D

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
No it's a very dark rich meat. More like venison but more tender and fine textured..

I'm not sure I fancy the dodgy looking town pigeons but I did hear a story about a chap who maried a Yugoslavian woman and when her mother came to stay she was enticing them down to the central london balcony, throwing a blanket over them and cooking them up.

If you are ever out towards Hampton Court Mr Dale the butcher in Bridge road often has some.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
bent-stick said:
No it's a very dark rich meat. More like venison but more tender and fine textured..

I'm not sure I fancy the dodgy looking town pigeons but I did hear a story about a chap who maried a Yugoslavian woman and when her mother came to stay she was enticing them down to the central london balcony, throwing a blanket over them and cooking them up.

If you are ever out towards Hampton Court Mr Dale the butcher in Bridge road often has some.
Thanks for the info, i bet there are a few country butchers that have them in stock from time to time.
I assumed we were talking woodies?, i get the occasional one in my garden buti could never bring myself to kill it just to see what it tastes like. Different story when they are in abundance and are the basis of an honest meal etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE