cooking gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
hi all not sure if this is in the right place but im sure i will be told but anyway does anyone know where i can pick up a cast iron pot cheap as possible and a billy can again as cheap as possible cheers all

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
No problem. Everyone has to start somewhere. I'd be wary of jumping in and spending lots of money though. Been there done that. Kit choice is very subjective. Make do for now and read a lot and try stuff out. We have a Dutch Oven and it's superb. The "we" is a group of 5-7 of us though - I wouldn't have thought they're for everyone. Sometimes you have to learn by trying I suppose though.

Try a coffee pot billy and see how you get on. Could be controversial, but I reckon billy cans are good for very little more than boiling water/rat packs. A wider/shallower pan is better for cooking. You can't fry in a billy for instance.

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
to be honest scanker got it right this time i have been camping for many years i grew up in australia and deciced to come back to my roots and there was never an issue in pitching camp and having a campfire but since being back here it was difficult to find a camp site which allow fires i say camp site as i now have a wife and 18month old daughter who like many women like the amenities that these have to offer but have since found sites now which allow fires im not going back to basics but just want what i was used to back in oz but for some reason the equipment was easier to find and buy there gone are the days off disappearing into the bush for a few days at the drop of a hat so hence im just trying to gather the basics cooking gear hotplate, dutch oven, billy and tripod tbh honest i was going to make my own tripod why i never thought off making a billy i dont know think it was because if i ever needed one in the past i just went to my local camop shop anyway thanks for the heads up and i shall give iy a go on weekend if i can get my hands on a large coffee tin by the way what did you use for a lid as most now come with a plastic lid sorry for the lenghty read and the life story aswell but just thought id give you some background cheers again

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Welcome to the forum!

You sometimes can get lucky at car boot sales, which is also a great place to pick up other cheap gear.

Good luck!

MIke

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Even though I am yet to buy from Ronnie Sunshines, I know that they are the best for either dutch ovens or the cowboy set from seeing too many people using the kit and saying that it performs brilliantly.

As far as I can remember, I have seen Bernie, Eds and PJMCBear using the cowboy sets and they all had nothing but praise for it. In fact, the Mushroom Lady may use one as well, not sure on that one though. I saw PJMCBears' set after he had cooked breakfast in the frying pan and it was a right old mess. He chucked some water in the pan, popped it over the fire and left it. A while later, the water was boiling and the filth of caramelised sugar from pork and apple sasuages had just lifted off. I'm thinking of getting a set myself for when the kids come out with me in Old Stinky! :D

The cowboy set is about 25 quid as I recall, enamelled steel so robust and easy to keep clean and you get four plates and cups and a billy can, coffee pot and frying pan. You can cook all sorts with that set up, and it looks pretty good too! Remember this post, Mister Ronnie, when I put my order in! :D

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
You could do what Ray Mears did and get three long sticks arrange them in a tripod and then stick a tin can over them. He also punctured a hole in the can threaded some metal wire through and tied it to a toggle to keep it secured above the can. Then the other bit of wire was attached to his Billy. At least I think that's what he did.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Our Dutch Oven was from Ronnie Sunshines. I think it was only £25 when we bought it though. The one in the first link I posted looks the same and is cheaper.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You could do what Ray Mears did and get three long sticks arrange them in a tripod and then stick a tin can over them. He also punctured a hole in the can threaded some metal wire through and tied it to a toggle to keep it secured above the can. Then the other bit of wire was attached to his Billy. At least I think that's what he did.

I must be honest and say that that stupidly simple method impressed me. Whats the breaking strain on thicker guitar wire I wonder ?

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
thanks for the replies i like the sound of the cowboy kit yeah i seen RM do the tripod the other day on walkabout but i have a different idea ive come up with a way to make it small and compact but is a little weighty but to be honest it will be going in the car more often than not will see how it goes anyway might do pics once its done cheers again guys for the info its great

haich

Jan 1, 2008
North West
just been checking out that western cookset on ronniesunshines site is on order as soon as tent is sold thanks for the heads up on that one it looks like just the thing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE