cooking bannock in leaves instead of pan

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, instead of using a pan can you cook bannock wrapped in leaves from the hedgerow, like you would use leaves for cooking fish etc:, i was thinking something big like burdock leaves, would the leaves taint the flavour of bannock / would it be best to bury and cover over leaf parcel with ashes or place directly on top of fire, in which case would leaves likely burn and ruin bannock, or is it an unsuitable method not worthwhile.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
cant see why not, but theres only one way to find out:)
i have seen ray mears cook a bannock/bread like thing on a board made of split wood put next to the fire. surely thats a better way if you dont have a pan?

pete

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, thanks Peter_t ---- yes i suppose the split wood method is better i hadn't thought of that, i love cooking up bannock but like to travel light and was thinking of doing away with pan and trying alternative methods, i have done the ''twisted round stick'' and on ''hot rock'' methods and was wondering about alternative methods.''.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Wrapped in foil and placed next to the embers works aswell, a sheet of foil can be folded up unnoticed in a back pocket. Just carry it back out with you afterwards rather than just chucking it on the fire.

May 4, 2009
Hi, I've tried a few methods

I tried the twisted stick method, but found that it was hard to cook it through without burning the outside,

also tried squishing it on a stick to make a sausage, then once cooked take it off to make a hollow 'cup' shape. then fill the cup with jam... yummy!

lastly, I just chucked a ball of dough into the ashes next to the fire, and flicked it about for 10mins. this probably worked best, as long as you're not bothered about the ash...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE