Cooking Bannock In Dutch Oven

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
At the weekend I was out and had my big cast iron pot with me so I emptied in a large bannock mix, lid on and into the fire.
When I checked it the outside had burnt and the centre was not yet cooked. I didnt plan this out well lol.
Can someone advise how I can cook in the embers without burning the outside. I'd read that using banana leaves works but I dont have many of them here in Darlo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
As with all bush-cooking, experimentation is the key. The way I cook bannock now, is to either, cook it on the lid of my Dutch oven, and make it quite thin, Press it out to about ½ to 2/3 of an inch, and turn it over every so often. Or cook it on the lid of my tranga (the frying pan as it were) but cook the bacon on their first so there is a good layer of grease, but again press it out thin.
I’ve not had it so it is burnt and raw at the same time, as this means your fire is not a 'good fire' for cooking. Hot embers are the best thing for cooking on, the Dutch oven lid can go directly on some low embers, but the Frying pan needs a bit of separation from the heat, and how much depends on the conditions at the time.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You fire is too hot. It's OK sticking the oven directly into a fire if you are boiling a soup, stew or something that wont burn, but for baking, they need to be quite a bit cooler. Use less coals, scrape em off to the side and put your oven on them away from the direct heat of the fire. Thick foil or an upturned plate or something to keep your bannock off the base is needed too. It's really easy to make em too hot. Maybe try experimenting cooking with BBQ bicks to get a sense for how much heat you need to get it cooked through without burning? They cook well with much less heat that you think is needed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE