Cooking a leg of lamb over campfire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I've not done it over a campfire, but an open top bbq, and the best bet it to bone it out and buterfly it so that it becomes as wide and flat as possible. You'll probably want to use a flat grill who's height can be raised and lowered as needed. It'll take a while, as its best to cook it slower to stop it from drying out and becomming tough.

Does it have to be done as a carvable joint though? Would be much easier to just debone it and then slice it into steaks and fry/grill.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I have cooked pigs over a fire, does that count?

1: cook the meat on the side, not above the fire. So not OVER the fire, technically soeaking.... glowing coals under, flaming fire brhind.
2: take your time.
3: turn often.
4: baste or it goes dry.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Definitely do it in front of the fire not over it, personally I wouldn't even have coals underneath it as the fat coming off it can flare up which can put a unpleasant taste to the outside and you really want a drip tray of sorts there to catch the juices which you want to ladle back over it to keep it moist

if you can rig a reflector behind it as well that will help it cook no end. I've seen elaborate ones made of shiny tinplate iron to collapsible jobs of steel with clip on drip trays to ones made from big cans cut in half. I think they are sometimes called hasteners. They seam to have gone out of fashion now. Silver paper over cardboard will do it for a one off.

ATB

Tom

Correction they haven't gone out of fashion! Google in images "campfire reflector oven" and you'll see loads of commercial ones, plans to make them and home made ones. I was going to make one years ago but it fell through as I couldn't afford the sheet metal at the time. I want one now!

Last edited:

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Was planning to get one on the bone and hang it over the fire...

That won't work. The joint will be too thick and just won't cook. You'll end up with charred outside and raw inside.

As suggested, the best advice for cooking over a fire would be to butterfly it (your butcher will do this for you if you ask) and either use a grill or you could try ponassing it in the way some people do salmon.

If you really want to leave the bone in and cook it at camp, I suggest a ground oven. However, be very careful and make sure there is no underlying peat that will catch fire.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
If you leave the bone in it will take maybe 2-3 hours to get Well Done. Depends on the closedness to the heat.
I would not remove the bone.
You can in fact use the bone to tie a steel wire to, hang the cut where you want it. Then put it in a rotation on the wire.
Save you turning it.
I yhink you should find a tv program called Chefs Corner, about an Argentinian chef called Francis Mallman. It was on Netflix a couple years back.

He knows how to cook on fire.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
In a smoker BBQ, never on the hot side.
Takes some patience to go 3 hrs at 300F or a little less.

I'd butterfly the leg, the bone keeps the middle cold.
Stand it up beside the fire so you can turn it.

nunzionuk

If you leave the bone in it will take maybe 2-3 hours to get Well Done. Depends on the closedness to the heat.
I would not remove the bone.
You can in fact use the bone to tie a steel wire to, hang the cut where you want it. Then put it in a rotation on the wire.
Save you turning it.
I yhink you should find a tv program called Chefs Corner, about an Argentinian chef called Francis Mallman. It was on Netflix a couple years back.

He knows how to cook on fire.

I will check him out, I wasnt in a rush to cook the meat.. its just a lazy saturday afternoon thing. Maybe I will try two one with, one without, bone.. Its to feed 10 people or so anyways.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I will check him out, I wasnt in a rush to cook the meat.. its just a lazy saturday afternoon thing. Maybe I will try two one with, one without, bone.. Its to feed 10 people or so anyways.

Good idea. Boneless for Well Done, bone in for Rare.

Malmann is my food hero numero uno. If you can, get his cookery books.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I use foil baking dishes as heat reflectors in the the smoker BBQ, they do have a noticible effect.
The drip tray is a must to keep things tidy, if nothing else.
Here's the marinade that I use on butterflied leg of lamb, maybe 4 hours.
- 2 tsp mixed herb seasoning
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1/4C Canadian Maple syrup (seems a key flavoring)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2C red wine (no more or the lamb goes purple)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce.
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
Either reserve some for basting or make extra.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
10 people off a leg of lamb?? A leg for a Sunday roast and we struggle with 5. 2 legs will definitely be the way to go.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
We did a haunch of venison at Bardsters one year. Wrapped it in loads of foil and buried it in the embers of the fire overnight. Perfect.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not over an open fire but I've mesquite smoked one in a kettle BBQ (coals and wood to either side with a drip pan between them. Meat on the grill over the drip pan with the domed lid back over the grill. It had been deboned but not butterflied. As I remember it took about 3 hours.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Robson V, NO! NO!
Garlic, Thyme. Nothing more, nothing less!
If you like garlic, make small pockets with a knife and push in a bunch of individual peeled segments.
Then just sprinkle salt (and pepper) on the slices.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's an important cooking concept to take advantage of here.
Long, low and slow cooking breaks down the tough connective tissues in any meat.
You can't hurry this. I've tried and it was a disaster.

Lets suppose that I want to do some lamb shanks and I want them smokey and seasoned and tender and juicy.

Left hand BBQ burner lit on low. Little cast iron pan of wet apple wood chunks, right on that burner.
All the meat rubbed with dry seasoning mix, stacked on the right side.
1. New/extra thermometer in the RH side will come up to between 275F and 300F. I don't need any hotter.
2. The apple wood will smolder for 30-40 minutes, no more needed.
3. After 2 hours, I wrap all with Al foil. It continues to cook without drying out.
4. Get sauces ands slaws ready as when 3 hrs is up, we eat.

BBQDs_zpsndk4ij5i.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE