Cooker spares

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Not quite bushcraft I know :eek: , but I'm hoping someone here may know the answer...

I have an ex-MOD single burner petrol cooker which won't gt up to pressure. Does anyone know of a supplier of seals/pump washers for these beasties?

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton

I don’t know directly of a supplier but the Wycombe model shop on Gomm Road has a good selection of O rings if you know the sizes you want and I have a good set of venire callipers if you want to measure them accurately.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Yup, know the shop, I'll try them - they may have suitable stuff.

One of the main problems is the pump washer - same design as a bicycle pump, but smaller. The current one has degraded and lost its springiness, no longer sealing the tube. The washer at the pressure outlet I can probably fabricate using some old inner tube. I'm guessing there's also some type of non-return valve inside somwhere.

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Thanks for that great link - cup washers for all sorts of gizmos in there. it'll be useful for spares for my tilley lamp too.

As of last night, I freed up the non return valve which was sticking, and cut a new leather disc for the pump washer. I'm now getting fuel to the burner, but still not enough pressure to get is roaring yet.

Anyone know what I should lubricate the pump washer with to get a better seal? LM grease would be my guess, but is this OK with petrol/vapour?

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
Hell's Bells!

Somebody else actually owns a Number2 Mark2 Burner?
I thought I was the only one left.

I used to repair those little beauties in a previous life, and salvaged enough spare parts from the scrap box to knock one up from scratch.

Best thing to lube the leather with is vaseline. Works pretty good on the rubber, too. Needs replacing regularly, naturally, as the petrol washes it off. Especially on the non-return valve.

Getting a roaring flame out of it takes time- It's not like a coleman. All that brass needs warming up.

Make sure the priming bowl is at the bottom of the burner- it's easy to assemble it immediately under the burner head- it's no good there. Troops used to do that all the time.
Pump it up a good few times, and let fuel fill the priming bowl. Shut the valves.

Light the head up and ( this is the important bit ) leave it alone until the fuel in the bowl is nearly out. Then open the valve.

Then pump like billy-o. As long as your pinhole is clear, the only thing between you and the roar is the pressure in the tank.

I've had mine for 15 years, and it wasn't lit for a stretch of ten years at one point. Bit of TLC and it brewed up first time.

Bombproof, I believe is the term. ( They have to be if they give them to the Cavalry!)

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
TwoFourAlpha said:
Hell's Bells!

Somebody else actually owns a Number2 Mark2 Burner?
I thought I was the only one left.
You may well be, mine's a mark 1 :eek: The version that doesn't have the slide out fuel tank.

Thanks for the tips - looking forward to having another go at it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE