Connecticut black bear and fleeing women.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Over the last 3 days I had two close bear encounters. The first one was in my back yard. The bear walked though my woods then up the driveway. I got that one on video. The reason for my title will become apparent near the end of the video. It's actually two videos from two different perspectives. One from an Ipod the other from a Sony AS15 action cam.

[video=youtube;n-IAi5yaEzA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-IAi5yaEzA[/video]

The next encounter happened a few hours ago today during a conditioning hike. I intended to go to my friction fire spot on a local blue trail system which is situated higher up. That thread is here.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132613

On the very same thick moss covered spot as I did a friction fire practice only a few days before and last night was a bear. I hike this trail at least 3-4 times a week, sometimes at night. It ran but going forward is some cliffs so not looking to give the critter a feeling of being boxed in I turned back calling my hike off early. I suspect it's after the Blueberries and Hucks that will be in ready soon. That thread has a pic showing my pack on moss is the exact spot of that encounter. I guess we both liked to rest on thick soft moss. :lol:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Grizzly bears can sprint fast enough to bring down a galloping horse. I'm told 30-35mph. They can pick open brass rifle cartridges.
They don't come into the village but cougars do in the winter (find footprints in the snow.) They hunt the deer resident in the village,
scares the hello out of family with kids walking to school.
Sleeping in a hammock covered with a tarp? Meat pie. Don't eat the crust.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm glad we have nothing wild that can turn round and try and kill you in the UK.

Knew of a chap eviserated by a hare in the UK. His own fault though. Picked it up wrong way. He did survive. Plus be careful of stags during the rut. When their danders up they no longer fear you.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
All you have to do is go for a simple walk in the mountains.
Unbeknownst to you, you have walked in between a grizz and an unseen recent kill (eg mule deer/moose calf/etc).
You're as good as dead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE