Conjunction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Don't know if anyone else saw the conjunction of the Moon, Venus & Jupiter this evening, it was a magical sight low in the southern sky.

For those not in the know, Venus is just below the cresent Moon and Jupiter is top right.

Conjunction1-12-08MoonVenusJupiter-.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just a normal Digi SLR and a 300mm Telephoto lens, did think about setting the telescope up, but by the time i had done that the conjunction would have disappeared below the horizon:(

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I missed that bit Toddy, i was picking the lad up from after school club

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, but you got a cool photograph :D
Me, I got an, "Oh look at that! " :cool: and it's bye. Wish I'd had the forethought to find the camera :rolleyes:

atb,
M

shona

Tenderfoot
Sep 10, 2004
Scotland
We must have seen it at the same time as you Mary - although I didn't realise it was Venus, I thought at first it was a plane coming towards us! :eek:

Conor spotted it on the way home and we stopped for a while to look. It was a very beautiful sight, I wish I had a camera to hand. We missed Jupiter though.

Is this a one night only event, or is it worth looking out for it tomorrow?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I missed it, unfortunately. I believe that if you'd been looking at 15:50 GMT, you could have watched Venus being occluded by the Moon.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I saw that, thanks for posting the details. I wasn't sure which planet was which.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Excellent pic Kepis. What were the exposure settings? I tried taking some pics of the 1/4 moon a while back. Even taking into account the fact that the camera would over-expose, it was still over-exposed :banghead:

G

Camera settings, erm yes well, i cant remember the exact settings tbh:eek: i had the aperture on an auto setting and a cable release with a manual count, think that one above was around a 2-3 second exposure, i do know the ISO was set at 200 though so i didnt get graining on the pic, this is where i love digital, i took over 100 shots, to get just the one good one:) .

Nowt wrong with over exposed shots of the Moon though, you can get some great Earthshine shots that way, the illuminated part of the moon in this shot was deliberately overexposed to capture the Earthshine on the unlit part of the Moon

MoonVenus19-5-07Earthshine.jpg

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I was in the car witht he kids when Venus was re-emerging from behind the moon,
it looked like the moon had grown a strange pimple.

My son saw it and said, "Wow someone's having a campfire on the moon! Can we do that?"

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Managed a great shot this evening, an ISS trail (light reflecting off the International Space Station on a long exposure shot to get the trail) and the continued conjunction of Venus and Jupiter, the two bright stars at the bottom of the picture.

ISSwithVenusJupiterConjunction.jpg

Well chuffed as it's the first time i have tried to photograph the ISS.

Ok it's not a bushie subject, but it's still a good excuse to be outside:D

ganstey

Settler
Camera settings, erm yes well, i cant remember the exact settings tbh:eek: i had the aperture on an auto setting and a cable release with a manual count, think that one above was around a 2-3 second exposure, i do know the ISO was set at 200 though so i didnt get graining on the pic, this is where i love digital, i took over 100 shots, to get just the one good one:) .

Nowt wrong with over exposed shots of the Moon though, you can get some great Earthshine shots that way, the illuminated part of the moon in this shot was deliberately overexposed to capture the Earthshine on the unlit part of the Moon

The exposure settings maybe in the EXIF information in the JPEG file, but it has come through on the file posted. Thanks anyway.

My image was so over-exposed, that even adjusting by -3 stops in the RAW version it was still a shiny fuzzy blob :( Must remember to use manual settings next time.

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE