Confusion on Arctic sleeping bags - help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushmatt

Apr 26, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hey folks

I recently got 2 "arctic" sleeping bags from the same seller on ebay, both needed new zips (not a problem, I have the zips)

1 of them is much more bulky than the other, it appears they they are completely different bags. There are no tags on either

The bulky one has a zip about half way down, the less bulky one goes almost to the bottom (about 1 panel of stitching at the bottom).

The bulky one doesnt have drawstrings around the hood, it appears more to be elasticated. There are 2 internal mesh pockets. It also has a hanging strap attached to the bottom of the bag.

The less bulky one has cord drawstrings in the hood and loops on the inside. It too has two mesh pockets.

I have 2 compression sacks, both issued, made for the arctic bag - the bulky one compresses only slightly, the less bulky one compresses so the sack ends up more like a ball!

Thanks

Matt
Anyone got any ideas? I can put some pictures up if it helps

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Matt,

What actually is your confusion? MOD will have more than one contractor and things get changed and upgraded.

So more detail and a few pictures would help.

S

bushmatt

Apr 26, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hey Sandsnakes

The confusion was just that as one seems much loftier than the other, that perhaps I have 1 arctic bag, and another bag that is not arctic!

I will upload some pictures later on.

Thanks

Matt

rg598

Native
The only thing I can say about the difference in loft is that down bags have a lot more loft than synthetic bags for the same level of insulation. Synthetic insulation does not get all of its insulative power from loft unlike down.

All that being said, I think someone just sold you some bags. I imagine that neither one will be bale to handle anything even close to arctic conditions. For example, do either of them have neck baffles that you can tighten? Even if they were good for that temperature rating when new, odds are they no longer are, especially if they have been used enough to need new zippers.

Maybe some pictures will help.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have had issue bags that match both those descriptions. The one with the half zip (the more bulky) is the original mid 90's issue. My first version of this type was made by Mountain Equipment. Soon (by the late 90's), the zip had got longer, but the loft remained roughly the same. I have then had more recent bags with the same spec as the late 90's (i.e. longer zip), but with noticeably less loft. Al;l different manufacturers, but I also wonder whether the MOD realised that the warmth (and resulting bulk) of the bags was overkill for most situations (only speculation though- it may just be that the particular fibres used for the insulation are better, so it needs less, or simply that the bag has been stored compressed for long amounts of time, or repeatedly laundered).

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Seen the photos, they are all genuine issue bags, so my previous comments still stand. They are from an era where they weren't referred to as an arctic bag, (although there was an arctic down filled bag in the '58 patt sleeping bag era). The term 'arctic' sleeping bag is one which has started to be used in fairly recent years to differentiate once the army started issuing the lightweight jungle bag as well. You have the same sleeping bags, just from different ages, with different manufacturers and a slight difference in spec.

bushmatt

Apr 26, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thank you Lord Poncho

Are they likely to be warm then? Haha, I'm not quite sure how best to phrase that question without sounding daft!

I guess what I'm getting at, is the "arctic" bags, as these were sold, are supposed to be pretty good down to fairly low temperatures. I have every intention of just getting in them both and trying them out in a bivvi but until i get that opportunity I thought it was worth throwing the question out there!

Matt

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
You will be fine in the UK with either of these bags (assuming the insulation hasn't balled in the corners of the stitched pockets and ribs on the bag creating cold spots, or as LP said they haven't been used or washed to death)
But as you said...only one way to find Out (now its getting colder at night you should have a rough idea if they are any good)!!!!! (just take the second bag just in-case! and you can use the 2 together if needs be)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE