Condor Bushcraft kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Condor Knife and Tool (El Salvador) make reasonably priced cutting tools that form the foundation of my bushcraft kit. Condor Greenland Pattern Axe, (1.5 lb. head, 16" handle) Condor Bushlore Knife (4-3/8" blade, 5" handle). Not fancy, but good, solid, utility cutting tools.

picture.php

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I recently traded my Bushlore as it was not quite right for me, however I think it's excellent kit given the low price.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
+1 for condor. I have their Hudson Bay knife. Not a pretty knife by any means but a good solid workhorse made from good materials. I recommend them for "no nonsense" tools

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I've got a Bushcraft Basic 5 inch. It takes a wicked edge and slices through wood obscenely.
I'd recommend anyone buying Condor products to try and get 2013 productions as past years have
had more QC problems. Year of production is marked inside the box.

What is the axe like?
A bit of background: I cut (chainsaw) and split (hydraulic) five cords (two homes plus camp wood) of oak every year. I use my GB Scandinavian Forrest Axe to limb trees after felling. The Condor Greenland Pattern Axe is similar in profile to my GB, not really intended for splitting.

Naturally, I use it for splitting kindling... and it does a fine job on the smaller diameter seasoned oak stove-wood. Fine for felling saplings, hard dry wood I normally cut with the Bahco Laplander. OK, most dry wood is cut with the saw, calorie efficient is my first choice. Anything my Estwing hatcher will do, the Condor does a bit easier... at the expense of being larger and heavier.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Following some delivery problems with a retailer (which I won't bore you with) they sent me a Condor Bushlore by way of apology.

The first thing that struck me was the weight of the knife. Weighing in at around 175g without the sheath and 240g including the sheath, it is certainly quite a brute. The second thing I noticed was that it was as blunt as old boots - fresh out of the box it wouldn't even cut paracord!

However, after 30 mins or so sharpening, it now has a decent edge and I actually quite like it. It has a good thick, full tang and the handle feels reassuring solid. I'm not sure exactly what wood it is, but apparently it is a South American hard wood similar to hickory. The sheath is reasonably well made of very thick leather. I can't see myself ever using the knife for any fine or delicate work, but when brute force is needed, I will certainly be reaching for my Bushlore.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it is excellent value at £25.95 (as long as you don't mind putting in a bit of elbow grease to get an edge on the blade!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE