Composite Hand Drill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
The composite hand drill (CHD) is the supreme hand drill design. The sacred plant which drills fire most readily is rare, and its stems are not found long and straight enough for making regular hand drills. This is the reason for making CHDs. A mainshaft is from another plant forming naturally long and straight stems. Into the mainshaft is inserted a short section foreshaft drill tip. One end of the mainshaft forms a drill chuck which holds the easily replaceable drill tip. The drill tip is simply fastened by tying with a string. No glue is needed. I can photo one of my CHDs if people need see the chucking design. Here is the list of local materials most adequate and available in my area: Mainshaft of horseweed, fastening string of stinging nettle fiber, drill tip of California Buckeye, hearthboard of willow. Our magical drill/hearth material combination is tribal secret. I carry a CHD of this combo only 18 inches long. Nearly easy as striking a match.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Ivan,i would very much like to see any photos you have of the drill,i normally use Elder(Sambucus nigra)hand drill on a pine hearth.I have only tried to make a CHD a couple of times,but never stuck with it.
Anyway like i said i would'nt mind seeing a photo of your set up.

Cheers Stuart.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
The composite hand drill (CHD) is the supreme hand drill design. The sacred plant which drills fire most readily is rare, and its stems are not found long and straight enough for making regular hand drills. This is the reason for making CHDs. A mainshaft is from another plant forming naturally long and straight stems. Into the mainshaft is inserted a short section foreshaft drill tip. One end of the mainshaft forms a drill chuck which holds the easily replaceable drill tip. The drill tip is simply fastened by tying with a string. No glue is needed. I can photo one of my CHDs if people need see the chucking design. Here is the list of local materials most adequate and available in my area: Mainshaft of horseweed, fastening string of stinging nettle fiber, drill tip of California Buckeye, hearthboard of willow. Our magical drill/hearth material combination is tribal secret. I carry a CHD of this combo only 18 inches long. Nearly easy as striking a match.

hi there, which tribe are you from??
Thanks
Will

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
compositehanddrill.jpg

Hope you don't mind Ivan :)

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
hi there, which tribe are you from??
Thanks
Will

Hi Will. My family is from the Cahuilla Tribe centered around the Palm Springs area, a desert region of Southern California. This same composite hand drill design was made since prehistoric times. We know this from artifacts found preserved in dry caves in the southwestern USA.

Perfect Shewie. Thanks so much for your help.

Ivan

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2008
Southern California, USA
That's great.

Will try its some time.

Can't wait to see yours Ivan

Hi Bod. Seems you are confused. The photo above is of mine. Shewie and Rich were kind enough to post the photo for me. I've made these of bamboo as well. Those bamboos you mentioned used in arrow making would be best for this. A friend has a beautiful genuine antique bow and arrow set from the Philipines the arrows. These arrows were of a bamboo I could see would be ideal material for composite hand drill mainshafts. Search around, I'm sure you will find such CHDs have historically been made in your area.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE