Compo - a tenuous follow on from Eric_Methven's post.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I came to hear of a phrase describing something in olde Dorset speak and it's quite apt to put on here.

"Vuz Kronicks" - What might they be?

In case anyone does know I won't put any clues up yet.

Bragging rights up for grabs. :eek:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Well the Gorse bit is right which is what the 'Vuz' is.
'Vuz' is 'Furze' otherwise known as Gorse.

Second bit is tough. Let's just say that a process is involved to end up with some 'Vuz Kronicks'

Nothing to do with medical stuff.

It is fuel, but what and how?

Struggling now...!
but my google fu is getting stronger :)
"Blacksticks' were often collected after the gorse had been swaled (annual burning of gorse and bracken to allow regrowth) and was the charred wood left after the fire had died down. Collecting blacksticks was usually a chore the children of the house were given, they would tied them in bundles or faggots and take them back for burning fuel. On Dartmoor many houses had hearths with a stone 'furze oven' built into one of the sides. These would be heated with furze faggots or blacksticks and then the ashes would be scraped out and bread, cakes or pasties baked behind the heavy oven door"
am I close?
Even if not i,m happy ....ive learnt something new:cool:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Struggling now...!
but my google fu is getting stronger :)
"Blacksticks' were often collected after the gorse had been swaled (annual burning of gorse and bracken to allow regrowth) and was the charred wood left after the fire had died down. Collecting blacksticks was usually a chore the children of the house were given, they would tied them in bundles or faggots and take them back for burning fuel. On Dartmoor many houses had hearths with a stone 'furze oven' built into one of the sides. These would be heated with furze faggots or blacksticks and then the ashes would be scraped out and bread, cakes or pasties baked behind the heavy oven door"
am I close?
Even if not i,m happy ....ive learnt something new:cool:

The force is strong in this one.

Hit the nail on the head. Either to use as kindling for bigger fires or to burn in vuz ovens.
They'd burn off the needles early on in the year and collect the vuz kronicks later on in preparation for winter.

Gorse was very useful in the past, largely overlooked these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE