Complete Newb - Advice Sought

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ceepeebee

Oct 8, 2017
Nuneaton
Hi all,

Quick intros..I'm a 37 (nowhere near that mentally) year old techie who spends most of his spare time sitting in the same position I do during work hours. I recently (this year) embarked on a bit of a diet and shed 7 stone of excess weight and I'm keen to take up some more outdoors-ish hobbies, which will also give me chance to indulge in some outdoors tech no doubt too.

Couple this with the fact that I'm starting to yearn for something a little more simple and out of the rat race and somebody suggested camping.

Now, I've done camping before and I thoroughly hated it - I should say this was festival camping. I realise that t his is completely different from the sort of camping and trekking the people on these forums engage in. The idea of going out into the middle of nowhere and to be complete on my own (full on wild camping I suppose) is intriguing, however I know I don't have the experience or mindset for this.

What I'm after is a few beginners tips. What sort of meet is the North Wood meet? What sort of gear should I be looking at? Would this serve to give me some understanding of what I'd need to be aware of if I ever managed to convince a land owner to let me camp on their land?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get out somewhere and get away from everything (and eventually, everyone) and relax - decongest and disconnect.

Thanks ahead of time guys & gals!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What I'm after is a few beginners tips. What sort of meet is the North Wood meet? What sort of gear should I be looking at? Would this serve to give me some understanding of what I'd need to be aware of if I ever managed to convince a land owner to let me camp on their land?

I've not been to a North Woods meet but I know the organiser and a lot of folks who go and I'm safe in saying you'd be made to feel welcome. They'll happily share knowledge with you, explain stuff and generally help you settle in.

As for gear, some to sleep under, something to sleep in, something to sleep on, something to sit on, something to cook in and something to eat with will do you fine :)

ceepeebee

Oct 8, 2017
Nuneaton
I've not been to a North Woods meet but I know the organiser and a lot of folks who go and I'm safe in saying you'd be made to feel welcome. They'll happily share knowledge with you, explain stuff and generally help you settle in.

As for gear, some to sleep under, something to sleep in, something to sleep on, something to sit on, something to cook in and something to eat with will do you fine :)

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

If anyone has any starter recommendations for me to look at, that'd be great. Happy to do my own research but as is the case in the tech world, there are bound to be a few things to stay clear or and a few no brainer purchases.

Looking forward to getting involved in this. I might even try my back garden first :)

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
I am a regular at the North Wood meets. Our next meet is in a couple of weeks time ..27th -29th october.
If you want to attend the meet we would make you most welcome. It would also give you an idea of the options available. The 3 most common are 1 small tent, 2 sleeping open air under a tarp as a shelter, 3 hammock under a tarp. All 3 have their pro's and con's. If you pop along for the day it might help you decide which option would best suit you.
Greg

ceepeebee

Oct 8, 2017
Nuneaton
I am a regular at the North Wood meets. Our next meet is in a couple of weeks time ..27th -29th october.
If you want to attend the meet we would make you most welcome. It would also give you an idea of the options available. The 3 most common are 1 small tent, 2 sleeping open air under a tarp as a shelter, 3 hammock under a tarp. All 3 have their pro's and con's. If you pop along for the day it might help you decide which option would best suit you.
Greg

Thanks Greg,

I'll look to get a couple of bits and bobs. Is there a drop dead date I have to confirm by, or can I cut it fine? Reason for asking is the Wife is having an op on the 12th and I'm unsure as to her recovery.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Thanks Greg,

I'll look to get a couple of bits and bobs. Is there a drop dead date I have to confirm by, or can I cut it fine? Reason for asking is the Wife is having an op on the 12th and I'm unsure as to her recovery.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

There is not a cut off date. If you do decide to attend, could you please add your name to the list on the North Wood meet thread.
It's a friendly gathering with plenty of people with far more experience than myself.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Hi CPB :)

Steve (mesquite) and Greg have covered it really, just fill your car with everything you've got and dip your toe in. As Greg said, you could just pop in for a few hours if you want. mind you one of ours will be cooking a mountain man breakfast at some point, not to be missed!

ceepeebee

Oct 8, 2017
Nuneaton
Oh cheers man! I'm trying still....I'm one of those people who is ALWAYS going to have to watch their weight.

Sadly I'll not be able to attend the North Wood meet as I was planning due to my Wife's post-op recovery, but I'll get a tent and some bits and I'll be along soon! :)

richy3333

Jan 23, 2017
Far north Scoootland
Oh cheers man! I'm trying still....I'm one of those people who is ALWAYS going to have to watch their weight.

Sadly I'll not be able to attend the North Wood meet as I was planning due to my Wife's post-op recovery, but I'll get a tent and some bits and I'll be along soon! :)
Family first pal. Hope she has a speedy recovery:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE