Competition for new-ish members

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Ok, here's a competition open to people who've joined BCUK in 2007 or have less than 50 posts at the time they answer the questions.

You'll have to use tracking and foraging skills to find the info. I guarantee you'll find it all on BCUK, although not all of it is in the forums :naughty: . I do have a bit of a devious mind so you'll need to use some lateral thinking. Jodie's advice on this thread might come in handy but some browsing of stickies will probably help too.

Prize? A book which I didn't manage to sell, but I reckon will be useful for the winner: The Survival Handbook: Learn the survival skills of the world's elite forces by Peter Darman.

1) We've all got oil on the side of our nose, what do bushcrafters use it for, and why?

2) Which British tree is reckoned to be the best for making cord, and what do we call the rather odiferous stage needed to process the raw materials?

3) According to bushcraft lore, what tree might perform royally, and why?

4)You're lost, or in some other crisis out in the wilds, what's the best advice you'll find on BCUK to help you survive. The answer may give you a bit of a surprise! ;)

5) What kind of feather might be very useful in performing the answer to question 4?

6) What law specifically governs the foraging of wild plants?

Please post a quick hello on this thread if you're going to be taking part, so I know whether there is any interest :rolleyes:

Over to you.. first to post the answers wins the book :deal:

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Nice gesture of yours !

:11doh: I realized I just passed that amount of posts !! A quick question, I assume this contest is only for full members and also to UK resident, am I wrong ?

Cheers,

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
fredcraft said:
:11doh: I realized I just passed that amount of posts !! A quick question, I assume this contest is only for full members and also to UK resident, am I wrong ?

Cheers,

Thanks Fred, It's not just for full members, and I don't think international postage would be too much of a problem. If there's not much interest I might be persuaded to open this to a wider audience, so keep an eye on the thread. ;)

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Will do ! :)

PS :
:11doh: My posts counter just went up another time with that post !!!! Oh my oh my, I'm losing my chances !!!!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are a good set of questions, all of which could be easily answered with the info on this site. I've been here to long though, and I think my post count may be a little too high!!

Come on you new guys, this is a great opportunity to get a freebie, but more importantly to post some of your knowledge, better your bushcraft knowledge and to integrate with us saddoes that spend way too much time on here! :rolleyes:

:D

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I use nose oil on a 2 piece or 3 or 4 piece fishing pole rub on side of nose before putting together it come apart easily

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
1. Nose oil for oiling wood, especially ebony, accelerates the polishing process.
2. Willow, boilng in Lye is called 'retting'.
3. "Ashwood green and ashwood brown
Fit for a queen with a golden crown"
Good for burning, a golden crown of flames.
4. STOP and brew a cup of tea!
5. Feather sticks for your fire.
6. Wildlife and Countrryside Act 1981.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
aha, thanks David,
question 1, Not what I was looking for, was thinking of an activity that the general public will think of in relation to bushcraft ( and not "eating snakes" as my workmates thought...). Wood is involved though.

question 2, not the tree "I" was thinking about but won't quibble with willow.

Spot on for the rest. Sort out question 1 and the book's yours :)

lits

Aug 16, 2005
Surrey/ Charterhouse
That would be my guess too--Lubricating the block.
Interesting thread too--pity i didnt see it earlier :rolleyes:
And is the other answer to question 2.) the Lime tree?

Cheers

Sam

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Yup, lubricate the bearing block! :You_Rock_

I was looking for Lime, and the retting being done in flowing water rather than using Lye, but that would be pedantic even for me :rolleyes:

OK David, pm me your address and the book will go this afternoon :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE