compass suggestions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
hi there, i have a silva ranger 3 basic baseplate compass and a ranger m15tdcl mirror sigting compass. i also have a couple of cheep baseplate compasses from milletts and for my group we use large numberd compasses from gellert. all these are good, the compass set into the top of my K&N matchcase has been usefull as well. for geocache (google it, its fun and silly) i use the ranger 15 as i hate gps and i am paranoid that the govt or the americans will switch it offf soon. i have also not been too impressed with the accuracy. (have heard of differential gps but i think this is for boats???)

i have used a silver 54 baseplate/sighting compass and thought it was very good but is also very expensive. out of all of them i would recomend the 15tdcl at about £35ish

Dave

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
I cannot recommend the Silva Ranger 15 TDCL highly enough. Its been around the world with me over the years and I cannot fault it. If you want something small then the Silva Ranger 27 is a great little package.

Miggers

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I have 2 A silva compass and a Dalvey compass that my wife got me its my favorite

100_4672.jpg

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi Paul,

I've used a Silva type 4/54 for a long long time with no problems mate. Silva and Suunto base plate compasses are both good quality, the model you choose depends on what you want it for and your knowledge and experience with using them. If you want to have a look at a couple of different types, give me a call mate I've a couple of Silva's and a fair bit of experience using them.

Brian

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I kill compasses :eek: and I'm neither careless or harsh with my kit; everything else lasts for ever, just not my compass. My brother bought me a Suunto one a year past and it's lasted far longer than any of the Silva ones put together have.It's utterly reliable, simple to use and yet cost well under £20.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/suunto2/a30.htm
No particular recommendation for the company, I just looked for an example.

cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I cannot recommend the Silva Ranger 15 TDCL highly enough. Its been around the world with me over the years and I cannot fault it. If you want something small then the Silva Ranger 27 is a great little package.

Miggers

I will second this view. I have had a 15TDLC for years and it has got me safely through some tricky situations.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE