Compass review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
excellent reveiw of some great kit .I want the pro but don't need it and can't afford it.
Hang on ......Thats never stopped me before.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Cheers mate but keep an eye on it I'd hate to lose it in my deep deep pockets. LOL

EdS

toyed with getting an Eclipes but found it hard to use for drawing transects on maps - the base plate was too small for me.

Got an Silva Expedition 54

http://www.silva.se/templates/Products____79.aspx?epslanguage=EN&productId={F1FC AE0C-EDE6-4E31-A191-9B062E14CEA5}

Excellent kit an very easy to take bearings with, especially at night.

Fancy some of the cards though to go with my old Sunnto mirror compass/clinometre

Dec 16, 2007
Quick compass question. If I have a silva type 4/54 that is in Degrees that I got in this country would I get the same of performance in Australia as I will be moving there within the next 6 months. I have been looking at the declination thing on the tinterweb and seem to be getting lost.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Sadly your compass is useless there! Unfortunately the north needle will point south and vice versa!
Send it to me and I will dispose of it for you safely;)
sorry, I'll get my boomerang
regards
Alan

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Quick compass question. If I have a silva type 4/54 that is in Degrees that I got in this country would I get the same of performance in Australia as I will be moving there within the next 6 months. I have been looking at the declination thing on the tinterweb and seem to be getting lost.

The declination setting on my compass is to allow the difference between true or grid north to mag north to be set and does not relate to the needle balence (This may be different in yout model but i doubt it). The 54 has quite a large capsulse so may well still function with only a small amount of adjustment however the difference between the europe zone and OZ zone is quite high. What it means is that the neddle may foul the inside on the capsule and not be allowed to freely rotate when level. Hope that helps

Lifted off Wiki (couldnt find any other online source)

"[edit] Compass balancing
Because the Earth's magnetic field's inclination and intensity vary at different latitudes, compasses are often balanced during manufacture. Most manufacturers balance their compass needles for one of five zones, ranging from zone 1, covering most of the Northern Hemisphere, to zone 5 covering Australia and the southern oceans. This balancing prevents excessive dipping of one end of the needle which can cause the compass card to stick and give false readings"

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
So, Jungle re, judging by the reflections in the compass mirrors, you'll be a Glaws supporter then?

There is only one true faith hereabouts;)

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
the original thread has moved on a fare bit. During field testing the eclipse design proved fataly flawed. Alarge buble formed wich would normally be no biggy but as the needle would still move, the disc in the eclipse however becomes locked against the capsule rendering the compass useless.

i have just bought a recta dp 6 which is awesome, simplely awesome

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
i have just bought a recta dp 6 which is awesome, simplely awesome

I couldn't agree more!!
That's the one I've been using for years.
The plastic housing keeps things very safe during transport, since I'm doing a lot of ski-touring I use the inclometer a fair bit so estimate avalanche dangers, the needle is very speedy without being wobbly, and the fact that it's adjustable for different parts of the world has come in handy a number of times.
The only thing is that it gets little bubbles in the fluid when above 2000 meters (due to lower air pressure). Then again, so do all compasses, the tiny bubbles don't really disturb and they go away again when back down at normal altitude.

/ Karl

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have always used a Silva Expedition or a Silva Ranger 4 and I find these baseplate models much easier than sighting compasses. When it's cold anf foggy and you're in the middle of nowhere, the sighting features become almost redundant. Back in the days when I did a lot of sailing, I used a sighting compass to take bearings but the situation at seaand the type of navigation that you do, is different to that on land. Difficult to see anything to take a bearing on in a forest and impossible in the fog in open country. The few times I have had to take a bearing on an object in good visibility (on featureless, open moorland, I have found that the Ranger copes well)

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have an older version of the Field 26, if I upgraded the Ranger 27, or the Voyager 8040 both look interesting. But after looking at the prices, think the ranger is going to win. 44.95 for a compass!

Anyone know if someone has put those cards from the eclispe up, anywhere?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE