Commando/Toggle Rope

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
This toggle rope is related to the soft shackle mentioned in the "Making cordage with a braiding disk" thread. I wish I knew more about this particular example I found at a yard sale. The seller only knew it belonged to her grandfather. The rope is a 8' long and 5/8" in diameter. I believe that it is manila. I knew that it was a commando rope from my scouting days in the 1950's.
If you google these terms you will find out a lot about this item. Boy Scouts call it the Buddy Rope and have found many uses for it. Tony
Toggle Rope
Commando Rope

qgwzB4h.jpg

bzVUnrj.jpg

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Never heard of one of these before but can instantly see that they can be connected together to make a climbing rope (walls etc) or means for safely crossing a river. A cracking idea, ta for sharing.

Rob.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
There used to be a lot of these for sale in the Government Surplus shops in Portsmouth when I was a boy in the 1950s. We were told that every commando carried one as part of their kit so that could be used to scale walls etc. I had one, but they weren't much use on their own.

asemery

Settler
Aug 11, 2005
Pennsylvania
pineapple.myfunforum.org
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A toggle rope was part of the standard equipment of British commandos and the Parachute Regiment during World War II. It was 6 feet (1.8 m) long, and had a toggle at one end in a tightly fitting eye splice, with a larger eye at the other end. This enabled them to be fastened together to create an ersatz rope ladder, or to secure around a bundle for hauling, among other uses."

There are too many other uses to mention. Please Google either toggle rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=toggle+rope

or commmando rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=commando+rope

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I made one and it is very good for holding a bunch of sticks together.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
i am pretty sure they still issue them at Sandhurst for the duration of training. They are a great bit of kit and when you are slim and in your prime, they wrap around your waist, especially during battle PT. (I realise that it's 20years since I was there and I doubt it would even get once round my waist, never mind twice).

I think they are still made and issued, but they are more like the one quoted with the toggle like andybysea says. They are a sound bit of kit! Best used in a team/section for all sorts of tasks.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A toggle rope was part of the standard equipment of British commandos and the Parachute Regiment during World War II. It was 6 feet (1.8 m) long, and had a toggle at one end in a tightly fitting eye splice, with a larger eye at the other end. This enabled them to be fastened together to create an ersatz rope ladder, or to secure around a bundle for hauling, among other uses."

There are too many other uses to mention. Please Google either toggle rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=toggle+rope

or commmando rope https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=commando+rope

Last edited:

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Asemary, Dave Canterbury (American youtube bushcrafter) uses something very similar as a sort of belt / sling to secure sheath knife, possibles pouch etc. Guess it means you dont have to take your coat off to reach them.

Probably not that hard to make.

Good find and thanks for sharing,

T

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Haven't seen one of them for a long, long time and then only in passing. Good find and post asemery, like mentioned, probably worth reinventing for bushcraft use...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
A great find and the old ones look nice, but there is no reason why one could not use modern climbing rope and caribiner and make these even stronger than the originals. There is nothing in bushcraft that means old or anti-modern, it is just bushcraft which means bush skills.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A great find and the old ones look nice, but there is no reason why one could not use modern climbing rope and caribiner and make these even stronger than the originals. There is nothing in bushcraft that means old or anti-modern, it is just bushcraft which means bush skills.

Yeah, arborist types tend to have short bits of rope with various eyes or rings in

Eg http://treemagineers.com/products.html

Edit: OT PS, quite like the design of the rope bags on that page, look like a sheet of something stitched together with paracord.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Fixed eyes spliced in can be done at home but I wouldn't rely on it personally. If you look up climbers daisy chains for big wall climbing you'll find similar made from stitched slings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE