commando slugs!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
scanker said:
I think I've seen a slug deterrent before - in a similar tube/packaging to slug pellets - from what I remember it worked along the same lines as crushed egg shells - slugs didn't like passing over it.

Cheers Scanker.....I thought I was going mad for a while there, even my wife just gave me a puzzled look when I mentioned it.

Any-one tried the egg shells and know if it works, I only found one mention when i googled the deterrent thing, and there was a hint it didn't.

ATB .... Stu

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
OldJimbo said:
Just out of curiosity how big is a big slug there? We have them commonly in the 6-8" range in the forest here and I don't remember seeing any that big in Britain.

maybe 3-4"

Frightening stuff eh :p

Mind you I can see why people arent that keen on them, as they dont half make a mess when they crawl over our shiney kit.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've used egg shells before, but you need a really thick heaped pile in a soolid ring around the plant you're trying to protect. it works well while it lasts, if you have enough of it. Sharp sand works too.

I think the jury's still out on whether slug pellets harm hedgehogs or not - some camps say they do, others say they don't.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Thanks for your suggestions so far. Dont miss understand me, I dont want to kill the little "darlings" (unless they are in my garden) just want to have a good night sleep without them crawling all over me.

I guess feeding the hammock ropes through a small piece (say about an inch) of copper pipe before tying off to a tree would be the best deterent. The pipe could be kept in place with a drip string.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Are you using "one piece" ropes for your hammock? (That is, is the rope between the hammock and the tree one continuous lenght?) I reckon the "two piece" solution, with a ring or karabiner, is a much better way to go.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
gregorach said:
Are you using "one piece" ropes for your hammock? (That is, is the rope between the hammock and the tree one continuous lenght?) I reckon the "two piece" solution, with a ring or karabiner, is a much better way to go.

I'm using two ropes. Its a DD Hammock. ( www.ddhammocks.com ). Securing the hammock is not a problem but thanks......(I've just been reading the "Hammock" thread in the Bushcraft and Survival skills Forum. ;) )

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
jeeeeeeez, I thought I was OK with slugs until someone mentioned 6-8" slugs :eek: I'd probably scream myself hoarse if I woke up with one of those on my arm - yes, I am that much of a wimp when it comes to bugs :D :rolleyes: well, 6-8" ones anyway...

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
maybe the question should be what attracted them? slugs like beer - you hadn't had a cheeky vimto or two before bed had you? :)

might be a good future source of bushtucker - good eating on a slug and if you dont know you've eaten it then you wont be so squeamish :eek:

Any food will attract them. I got to wondering just how big the banana slugs get here, and found a page with pics of a big one which came at the same time each day to clean up the cat's dish. I mostly only see them on rainy days, and the size makes them fascinating enough to get over the grossness factor. I can see I have to get a picture of what I consider a really big one.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't you dare Jimbo - I'll have the heebies for weeks - you'll ruin the tourist industry too :D

Personally, I don't have an issue with the local wildlife on or around my hammock. As i was setting up my tarp and hammock at mid-night last night I noticed a rat running along the branch of a bush above me :eek: Still slept there though, without any problems ;)

When I bivvy on the ground I often awake in the morning to find several snail/slug trails across my bag and earwigs and other stuff inside it.

However, you could try putting COLD wood ash from your fire around the base of the trees to which your hammock is tied. It would certainly be an interesting experiment. I recall being told that it works for ants in the jungle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE