Comforters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Does anyone take would could be called "comforters" when goin outdoors? I dont mean special fancy bits of kit but more something that reminds you of home (i do spot the certain irony in that) or good luck charms? I generally carry a set of five "poker" dice which my Da gave me. No particular reasonin behind it.

Also does anyone carry instruments? Harmonicas? Tin Whistles? Etc...

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
ahh! buggah! i cn't remeber the exact quote about the koosy oonek? or something, schwert will know. but a comforter, good luck charm, medicine bag, or whatever you call it.

once upon a time mine was a porcelain teacup and saucer i'd liberated from the officers mess, it used to upset people no end, a great morale booster, drinking from a porcelain cup and saucer in the field....

cheers, and.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I keep a small leather pouch on my person at all times that contains little things I've found on my travels during my life. A for instance is a seals tooth that I found on a beach in Oregon when the wife and I were traveling up the coast to the Canadian border and then back to California. Just a little reminder of the two weeks we shared together.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Sometimes a didgeridoo (proper name a yidaki). I can't play that well at all but what I can do withit I find really pleasing and fun!

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
I like to carry a bag of "scratch" with me - mainly because you can make anything from it!

Whilst in Africa I carried a small bag of sheep's fleece soaked in citronella - as well as reminding me of home (some how!) it also kept the nasty flies away!!!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Nothing. I learned 20 years ago whilst at boarding school, that things can be taken away from you, but what's inside can't be*. So I keep my "comforters" in my head.

*Actually, they can. Sometimes something hurts you so badly that even your innermost sanctuary, the one that had been your only refuge from a world you found unsafe and friendless, is shattered beyond repair. But that's another story.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have 2 items (if that's allowed):

A coffee filter cup - can't live without fresh coffee​

and a small Sony digital world-band radio​

Both are dear to me as they have seen me through bad times in exercises and operations all over the world. There's nothing like hunkering down in poor and dangerous conditions with a nice cup of coffee and the BBC World Service: I have a particular occasion in mind from last year and it was a real morale booster for our small team.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

A lot of small sugar bags... :eek:): The small ones you put in coffee and can get for free on planes and trains. :wink:

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I always carry my SAK;I feel "vulnerable" without it. :roll:

It is actualy a comforter as it has been so useful on so many occasions to make my life more comfortable. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE