Columbo leather bit's and bob's

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hello all,
I thought I'd just post a few examples of the stuff I've done in Columbo leather. It stems from Godfather's thread earlier, I just didn't want to clog his thread up with my stuff.

Anyway, I decided to have a go with the columbo leather, a while ago as it was considerably cheaper and therefore better suited to "Experiments":naughty:
so here goes:
below are a card wallet, coin/keys belt pouch and a laminated sheath.fronts:
P1180014copyresized.jpg

and backs:
P1180018copyresized.jpg

the sheath I know, looks more like a holster but I was just fiddling about and the laminating technique worked extremely well, giving a grain finish inside and out.
this gives a bit of scale:
P1180013copyresized.jpg

The columbo takes stamps and doodles really well when dampened so I just "doodled" away!:rolleyes:
P1180008copyresized.jpg

P1180009copyresized.jpg

actually these are small but look massive!
P1180011copyresized.jpg

if your just starting with leather or fancy a bit of dabbling columbo's pretty good, it has a more natural grain side so it might not suit everyone-I like it;)

Hope this inspires/encourages folk
kind regards
R.B.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
They look great RB!

No they don't! - they are Stunning! :D

The coloumbo leather has been taunting me too for a while so it's nice to see some. Is there any chance you have any left o'natural? if so could I presuade you to take a piccie of a bit?;)

rancid badger

Thank you all for your very kind compliments:eek:

I'll try and sort out a picture or two of some "raw material" a bit later today for G4

I hope one or two looking in are spurred on to have a go themselves. The Columbo leather makes a good beginners material but it's also nice to work with if you've been working in normal, high quality veg tanned hide.
I have come to quite like the wrinkley finish, and the way it takes tooling when wet. It also buff's up well.
Anyway, I've got some european water buffalo hide to try out next, it's only 2mm so I'll have to see what I can do with it.

Just to be clear by the way, as is often repeated in the forums; I really don't have anything to do with Le Prevo! I often wish I did:rolleyes:

cheers
R.B.

Gailainne

Life Member
:D I did the same before Christmas I bought some Columbo, Italian water buffalo and some cheapo kip side (wonderful pale orange colour btw) like you I wanted to try a layered finish, like MIke T's wonderful sheaths.

I've been playing around with hammock, tarp designs in fabric, and stove designs in Titanium, stainless steel, so havent got around to doing anything as yet with the leather.

I have a knife from a member of BB "Joesdad" Roger's work is awesome, and he did deliver it with a sheath, I just wanted to make one, not only that complimented the knife but to push me a little in the making, something I could take with me to Sweden in March on the winter WEISS survival course.

BTW your technique is very reminisant of the designs on tin plate, that was used as wall and ceiling decoration, really nice stuff.

I was talking to Eric when he was up here at the Crannog, he had one of your totem poles....I wish I had half your talent mate..best wishes.

Stephen

rancid badger

Wow RB, they look great. Maybe in a decade or too I might have the skill to do the same.

Oh get away:rolleyes: Just get cracking and see what turns out.

I'm lucky in that I can "switch off" I park my self, cross legged, on the floor and set to with whatever I'm tinkering with and see what turns out. I wish I had a fraction of the talent of some of the folk on here.Have a look at Eric Methvens water bottles for example-there are many other highly talented leather workers on here, that put my stuff in the shade:) I think that's brilliant! It's not a competition so I just tootle along having a go at this or that-

The problem of course is that it's not like carving a spoon where your raw materials are free. If you foul up a spoon or whatever you can shave it down to something else or sling it in the fire.

I'm also fortunate in that I'm only 10 miles outside Newcastle so I can get in and check out the "waste" box when I have some pocket money- I've had some cracking bits and pieces and at £2 a pound it helps to keep the cost down.

anyway, sincere thanks for the compliments, and best wishes with your future projects:beerchug:

Now then, where can I find some authentic Viking plans for a jet car made from wood, leather and string, made from honeysuckle:dunno: :D

rancid badger

:D I did the same before Christmas I bought some Columbo, Italian water buffalo and some cheapo kip side (wonderful pale orange colour btw) like you I wanted to try a layered finish, like MIke T's wonderful sheaths.

BTW your technique is very reminisant of the designs on tin plate, that was used as wall and ceiling decoration, really nice stuff.

I was talking to Eric when he was up here at the Crannog, he had one of your totem poles....I wish I had half your talent mate..best wishes.

Stephen

Interesting stuff that, I haven't seen Mike T's work yet but I'll have to have a look. My original reason for laminating the columbo was really just to make a very solid finished item but I was really pleased with resulting finish.
The inspiration for my doodling comes, in the main anyway, from cup and ring stone carvings as well as a bit of Celtic influence, while the totem poles:rolleyes:

Well,I was looking for something to keep my hands busy, I had a few nice bits of fresh Rowan to play with so I set to with a chip knife, little gouge and a tea towel:) I had seen quite a few photo's of First Nations American, Canadian and Maori totems and took inspiration from those. I'm crap at replication so I ended up with all sorts of things climbing up and down some of them.
Rowan is really good for this sort of thing especially when its still green-get hold of a little chip knife and have a go-

If Erics idea of a regional gathering up here comes off I might get the chance to sit down with a few folk and whittle a few bits and pieces

All the best;
Steve

rancid badger

pictures for G4 as promised:
This is the wallet "work in progress"
walletcopyresized.jpg

the following two are of the skin itself, not the best pictures but they do show the wrinkly texture:
P1190004resized.jpg

this one below is the leather not the back of my hand:D
P1190008resized.jpg

hope these help
Regards
Steve;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Just the job Steve! :D

Thanks;) - I admit I wasn't expecting the grain to be that obvious, but I like it none the less!

rancid badger

so what is columbo leather? i hope you havent skinned this one!!!!
col.jpg

What a really good question-
Well I don't THINK it came off aforementioned polis!
short answer from me: no idea!

Oh I do hope it's not something too cute and cuddly, I'd much rather envision the raw material as a half ton, warm blooded lawn mower, spending it's day's chewing cud, going "moo" regularly, and training for the belching and farting olympics.

Oh dear:dunno:

Cheers:D
R.B.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE