collecting sweet chestnut

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Discovered lots of sweet chestnuts near me, and i'd like to go collect some up, any tips on picking the right ones?

I was planning on taking any that had fallen and looked fresh/un-nibbled by wildlife, but i'm not even sure how to choose the best for eating/roasting...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Basically, the bigger ones with no holes in them. They're good to eat green, it's a pain to scrape the bitter inner skin from them, but well worth the effort.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Any of them will do, even the slightly nibbled ones, as long as they're big enough to be worth your while. Lay them flat side down and cut a cross in the skin of the top, then roast.......as soon as they're cool enough to handle peel the skin back and get them down yer crop!

I peel them and freeze them after roasting, then add them to soups, stews and casseroles right through the Winter; you can also pound them in a mortar and use them as a flour, for thickening dishes or they make a great base for stuffing........Fill yer boots!!!

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Awesome, simple enough then! Was planning on roasting them on embers, i've bbq'd them from the shop plenty of times, unfortunately i dont remember which species was my favourite, one was extra sweet (wolfed half a kg to myself haha)

Do love them in stuffing too, with apricots...might have to start planning xmas dinner lol

Seems they drop all winter, so i dont need to stock up?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They don't drop all winter, no; they're nearly finished here already. You need to get them as soon as you can after they've dropped as when it gets a little colder the squirrels will be on them really fast. But your big rival is the weevil and insect critters that get into them, you'll know by a little hole in the shell as you pick it up.

We've been lucky this year as the ground has been dry, they don't last long at all when it's wet.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Ah, thanks for that! Only a few on the ground that i saw, plenty in the tree's though, early morning job tomorrow i think (hopefully the rain stops)

northumbriman

Jul 15, 2010
Prudhoe
I only know of one sweet chestnut tree near myself. It gets plenty of chestnuts each year but the inner fruits are very small. Not sure if its the variety or the climate up here but they seem to be hardly worth the effort involved

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
From reading up some varieties are much smaller, and the larger ones vary in flavour too, i've had to put off heading out till tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What Macaroon said +1 :D

Lucky man finding them near you :cool: Like Northumbrian the ones that grow here don't fill out.
The only place I do know that they do is right in the middle of Glasgow.

M

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Its a shame, but the large ones you generally find in shops or on market stalls all come from the south of france, where they seem to grow a lot bigger (don't know if they are farmed mind).
we have a few trees near here, last year they dropped lots of empty pods, have yet to check this year, but am hoping for a good haul.
Delicious roasted, especially over an open fire (as the song goes, lol!), have a special pan with holes in it.

nicksteele1990

Tenderfoot
Sep 21, 2016
Cheshire
There's a bunch of sweet chestnut trees at the side of Manley road in Cheshire, and near where I work . I had a look at while ago, but the nuts were just too small to bother with, and hadn't filled out very well. Are they likely to grow much more, or is it best to get out there and get what I can before they're gone?

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I get a good harvest of wild growing chestnuts of a good size most years here in the midlands, below is todays harvest, oxo cube in centre for scale.

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
Didnt manage to find any decent ones :( going to have another look tomorrow, takes a few days to get around the woodland, but i'm guessing they planted the same verities all around

I know i've seen big fat ones somewhere near me before, but cant remember where, got plenty of time to look next week or so tho, still got fingers crossed!

Lots of hazel about aswell, will be back next year to stock up on hazel nuts

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Its a shame, but the large ones you generally find in shops or on market stalls all come from the south of france, where they seem to grow a lot bigger .

Ben Law , master craftsman and woodsman extraordinaire sells organic sweet chestnuts from his coppiced woodland (prickly nut wood) here in Britain.
Stocks are limited and in high demand but they are indeed delicious and generously sized.

Ben is also really friendly and helpful man.

You can visit his woods with prior arrangements or just visit his website .
www.ben-law.co.uk

To order chestnuts or anything else contact him directly at:

ben@ben-law.co.uk

I won't post his mobile number on here but you can PM me if you need it.

Best Regards

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
3rd time lucky :D

2uyiu4h.jpg

Think i've got 2 months worth still to collect aswell

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE