Coleman Petrol Stoves advice needed please.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It'll run on unleaded petrol and white gasoline.

White gasoline is commonly known as coleman fuel in the UK.

They will also run on a fuel known as ASPEN which can be sourced in the uk as well this is a Alkylate petrol. There is a heap of info on this on google.

You cannot use any other fuel such as kerosene or Meths's is this type of stove.

HTH

bronskimac

Forager
Aug 22, 2011
Dundee
Panel Wipe (use by car sprayers to clean panels before the spray) it's pure naptha. I got a 5 litre tin. Works out a lot cheaper than Coleman fuel.

garethw

Settler
Hi there
These are brilliant little stoves... I've been using them for over 25 years and they are fabulous for fishing and camping. Not really a hiking stove as they are somewaht weighty.
Coleman's are kind of an acquired taste and delicate science, but once embraced they work very well. Always use top quality unleaded fuel... or Coleman fuel. Any attempt to use kerosene, or other fuels will result in a blocked generator which will certainly need replacing.
From time to time it is useful to switch between Coleman and Unleaded, but bearing in mind coleman fuel is like 17 times the price of unleaéded you'll not use it often. You can add a few drop of redex to the unleaded from time to time to help keep the jet clean.
I love these and for fishing they are all I use.. I have one of the double burners too....
Cheers
Gareth

Ps: If you have a problem and need spares .. these guys have the lot. http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/on-the-bank/bank-and-camping-gear/cooking/coleman-stove-spares/

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
The people I know that have used kero have not had any problems with the generator blocking. it's just hard to prime enough
Alan

garethw

Settler
The people I know that have used kero have not had any problems with the generator blocking. it's just hard to prime enough
Alan
But why try to use kerosene on a stove that is not designed to use it??? its asking for trouble.. a mate of mine knackered two stoves using kerosene. what happens usually is that the long spring inside the generator gets stuck and snaps off. You can't then open the valve.
As I said, the best unleaded and occasionally some Coleman fuel or Redex carb cleaner in the petrol to un coke the works...

These stove need a bit of TLC to keep them sweet... I've two that are 15 years old ans till burning strong.
cheers
Gareth

Reactions: andyman1

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Some people just do not like using petrol/coleman.
I agree they are nice stoves ( I have a few in my collection), but re using kero? I have no problem with that. Yes I usually use a dif stove (one designed for kero) BTW the jet size in a 533 is the same as the kero jet from coleman.
Its like some say never use unleaded and other will use nothing but and never have any trouble. The thing I learnt about stoves is that they are all dif (all my 533's have dif charactoristics).
The question was asked if it could be done. The answer is yes it can. Its up to the person weather they want to.
Alan
BTW the guy who tested these has also had coleman white gas stoves run on butane!

Last edited:

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Sure it could be done , it's the same like saying: you can jump out of a plane without a parachute.
Ok we seem to be getting no where with this It was asked if it could be done and it CAN and without much risk or modification.
If its not your thing then fine. If it is then follow the link and see how to do it.
You could use the same argument about using a pen holder as a mug stand (another thread) but to some its usefull.
And jumping out of a plane without a chute will cause death. using kero in a 533 is not likely to worst case it will not light or will not stay lit
Alan

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My advice is to follow the manufacturer's advice. If you want to use different fuels, get a different stove.

I have multi-fuel stoves, paraffin stoves, petrol stoves, gas stoves and even twig stoves. I use them all, I have great fun in the process, and I'm not taking any silly risks.

Incidentally I have both a stove and a lantern by Coleman. I can't recall using anything other than the recommended fuels in them but I may possibly have used some of my patent brake cleaner mixture in the stove. Don't ask. They work very well on the correct fuels. I've used 'Aspen 4' (they used to call it Aspen 4T but now it's just Aspen 4) in a friend's Coleman stove similar to the one linked to in the OP and I thought that it seemed to find it just a little bit heavy, so getting the burner up to running temperature was slow, which is unusual for Coleman stoves. It burned OK once it was hot enough. The flame on these stoves is more like a gas flame than the roarer burners that I prefer, so it is affected relatively more by wind.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There is an adapter for the 2 burner stoves so they can use propane. But as they work by inserting the adapter instead of the fule tank I doubt if there's a similar product for the single burner stoves which have a fixed fule tank.

garethw

Settler
Unleaded pertol is by far the cheapest (even if its ridiculously dear these days) and most readily available fuel for these stoves. A five litre can lasts me for months.
What is the point in trying to use a more expensive, harder to find and less efficient fuel for these stoves. A mate of mine has an MSR multi fuel and for all the reasons above only uses unleaded in it.
Its like propane conversions....why?, "Lets just downgrade a brilliant stove, make the stove more expensive to run, with fuel that's harder to find and doesn't burn well in cold weather!!!"

No doubt alternative fuels can be done, may work and may or may not knacker your stove...but WHY???

Anyway whatever
cheers
Gareth

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Because not everyone likes to use petrol. Kero around us is a lot cheaper then petrol. Some would say it's upgrading!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE