Coleman fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Don't burn car petrol in you Coleman lamp, the fuel additives are not something you want to breath plus it clogs up the stove/lamp generators

I use panel wipe, this is Naptha, same as coleman, you get it from car spares shops (not Halfords), price for five litre tins vary from £8 to £15, remember, this is for 5 litres. I use a lot of Coleman gear, and petrol is an absolute no no.

This is also excellent stuff

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-4T-alkylate-petrol
A fellow stove collector in Italy put me onto this, like the panel wipe it burns super clean and leaves no residual smell if you spill some (unlike car petrol whose smell lingers for ages)

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Last I bought was $7.49 a gallon and I thought that was outrageous. I use original Coleman brand fuel in my lamps and stoves. I try to keep a few gallons around. :D

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
This is also excellent stuff

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-4T-alkylate-petrol
A fellow stove collector in Italy put me onto this, like the panel wipe it burns super clean and leaves no residual smell if you spill some (unlike car petrol whose smell lingers for ages)

I got some of this after you put me onto it before rik. Thanks for that.

They would would only sell it in packs of 3 x 5l and the postage was about £17 presumably because of it's hazardous qualities, so the total was just short of £60 for 15l.
Quite an outlay but when you cost it down to £4 per litre it's less than half the price of coleman and performs just as well. Just hope it keeps and doesn't deteriorate with age as ordinary petrol does. This quantity should last a me a couple of years.

Incidently the company did send a letter saying that they had a local lawn mower retailer that they supplied with other products who would be willing to stock this product if I was going to buy it regularly saving the carriage so it may be worth finding out if they supply some one near you,

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Coleman fuel or Naptha stored in sealed metal cans will perform as well as new even after twenty years. Probably longer than that, but I have only had twenty year old stuff to test.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
Have any of you actually tried running on petrol? I know of 2 stoves that have run regularly on petrol for well over 10 years and still work fine, yeah you can smell it and if you are cooking in a tent I would not suggest it but if you are cooking outside it is fine.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Have any of you actually tried running on petrol? I know of 2 stoves that have run regularly on petrol for well over 10 years and still work fine, yeah you can smell it and if you are cooking in a tent I would not suggest it but if you are cooking outside it is fine.

I have, and the stuff smells when you use it, smells for an age if you spill it, gives off toxic fumes (even outdoors) and will block up stoves and lanterns a lot quicker than Coleman/Naptha to be honest with you. I don't know any American stove collectors/campers who use car fuel to be honest, or brits with an interest in stoves for that matter. I do know two BCUK members who ran lanterns on petrol and it cost them about £15 each for new generators when they blocked, and one about the same for a stove generator. Coleman/panel wipe/Aspen 4T are more expensive than pump fuel, but it burns cleaner, often hotter, is less harmful and is better for your kit, so the pick is your, if your happy with petrol then go for it.

Ask the lads over at www.spiritburner.com I believe there are now a few BCUK members posting over there;)

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
An excellent link Rik.
My local lawnmower shop is ordering some Aspen 4T for me £13 for 5 litres when coleman fuel is almost £6 for half a litre at camping shops.
I'm more than happy with that.
Cheers mate Mike B...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE