Coleman dual fuel help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi I've just had one of these lanterns given too me as a thankyou for a favour I did for a mate.ive filled it with fuel and replaced the mantles but can't seem too get it too light properly.its working but rather pathetically.ive followed the the instructions on the side which say too turn the pump thingy too the left cover the hole and pump 30 times but in doing so I can't even get the thing too even push in once unless I take my thumb off the hole which it will then move freely.hope that makes sense.can anyone steer me in the right direction

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Push harder. I know that sounds trite but I really men it. It's supposed to be stiff. If it still doesn't work, then there may be a problem.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
That's it nice one thankyou thankyou

huha5e7e.jpg

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
There are two valves in the bottom of the pump: a non-return valve that stops the pressure from coming straight back out again, and a safety valve that opens and closes by twisting the pump knob. If that safety valve is closed then you will not be able to pump air into the tank at all. You turn the pump knob to open the safety valve, pump up the tank then turn the safety valve closed again.

If you find that the lantern is losing pressure and needs pumping up again after a short while, the culprit is the filler cap seal. New filler caps can be bought easily as a spare part.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers .I let it burn for about 30 mins cause I had nip out but tomorrow I'm gonna fill it right up n give it a good long test.it was flickering slightly but I don't think it's been used for a while

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Even if it's working correctly, you'll still need to pump it up again every hour or so.

You should not need to pump it up every hour or so; on a seven or eight hour evenings use I may pump once, possible twice at most. Many users don't mind the light output dropping a little as after cooking you don't need a full high output of light.

The little Coleman lanterns in the 222 range will need more regular pumping to maintain high output because the fuel tanks are so small.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks for the info everybody.i had too have another play with this once the sun went down. I've never owned a mantle lantern before n I'm absolutely amazed at the light out put of this thing.how often will I need too strip this down and clean it.i might need some advice in this department when the time comes.
u4e7a4yd.jpg

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thanks for the info everybody.i had too have another play with this once the sun went down. I've never owned a mantle lantern before n I'm absolutely amazed at the light out put of this thing.

They are great, aren't they? But don't let it become a habit. :)

how often will I need too strip this down and clean it.i might need some advice in this department when the time comes.

Very rarely if you use good fuel. Maintenance isn't difficult, there are plenty of people who can help, both here and on spiritburner.com.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You should not need to pump it up every hour or so; on a seven or eight hour evenings use I may pump once, possible twice at most. Many users don't mind the light output dropping a little as after cooking you don't need a full high output of light.

The little Coleman lanterns in the 222 range will need more regular pumping to maintain high output because the fuel tanks are so small.

Absolutely Rik, if you're not expecting full output the whole night. It'll be just fine for sitting around camp. I was thinking of the nights I use mine fishing; then I want full output all night.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the info everybody.i had too have another play with this once the sun went down. I've never owned a mantle lantern before n I'm absolutely amazed at the light out put of this thing.how often will I need too strip this down and clean it.i might need some advice in this department when the time comes......

Mine's about 15 years old now. I'll let you know when I strip it down the first time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE