Colder winters may be on the way!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
I found this a pretty interesting read, he puts across a strong argument of this winter being even colder than than last and this trend continuing.

http://globalcoolingnewiceageuk.blogspot.com/

Of course everything you read on the internet needs to be taken with a pinch of salt but this guy seems to have been pretty close for the last few years and has proved the met office wrong.

It will be interesting to see what happens but I for one look forward to a little more snow :D I'm planning to have a go at making a quinzee this year and maybe even try some XC skiing.

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It'll be interesting to see if he's correct. I hope not because I can't be bothered with the burst pipes at work.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I hope we get as much snow again , certainly better than all the rain we usually get.saying that we are getting all the rain now in the summer,hmmmmm

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
We definatly had a lot more snow at sea level this year, about a foot and a half after it had sat for a day or so, and Dava moor was upto around three to five in the drifts, but didn't see the extreme low temps of 2008/09, six days at -10 daytime around -15>18 at night but far less snow.

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Thanks for the link, very interesting. He seems to be banging his head against a brick wall in trying to bring it to public attention!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Some interesting ideas there and it wouldn't be the first time the Met office got caught out. Time will tell as always though.

It wouldn't actually surprise me to see colder conditions this year and in fact I've already been making a few preparations for it following the conditions we had last year.

I'm seriously reviewing and upgrading both my personal and vehicle winter kit now, before the rush and subsequent unavailability when the slush actually hits the fan.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I wrote a reasoned response to the article with explanations and references. It took quite a while. When I tried to post it, the forum software threw it away and told me that I wasn't logged on. You can imagine how :cussing: I was that I'd let the :censored: forum do that to me AGAIN!!!!!

So rather than go through all that yet again I'll sum up my take on the article in a single word.

Unconvincing.

By all means be prepared for the worst you expect to be possible. But we've only just had an ice age (about ten thousand years ago), and based on the evidence I don't expect another one for at least another 100,000 years.

Here's a plausible explanation of the snowfalls last winter:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11152077

Not that I'd put any faith in a BBC science reporter...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE