Cold Weather Mittens

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Can anyone here recommend some good cold weather mitts. I'm having trouble finding a good leather overmitt and a quality wool liner. I'd love to get some Dachstein mittens, but they're hard to get in the U.S. Plus I can't find any good leather mitts either. The only overshells you can find now are made of nylon. Suggestions?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Nylon isn't so bad actually. My favourite cold weather mittens are made of polycotton (65/35 I believe), and with them I use a pair of finger gloves for walking/skiing, and a pair of wool mittens for resting or when it's really cold. They're made by hestra (www.hestrausa.com for the US) but the exact modell isn't available there, the closest resembling mine is the pullover mitt, under 'alpine race'. They have some leather mittens to, though I couldn't find any uninsulated ones. ( I have a pair of sealskin mittens that I rate vary high, unfortunatly they are almost always too warm). The pullover mittens I have have lasted over 4 years, and they have seen a lot of use. The liners you get aren't so good, I prefer knitted mittens, which are thicker and more hard wearing than the wool pile you get.

For leather mittens there is a lot of surplus stuff available here, sometimes you can find swedish (or, norweigan, swiss or other countries with a lot of snow) surplus in the states too, cheap as chips and tough as nails (though they are white usually). Look at This site for example. Although the swedish ones there isn't the best, there are some which are made in all leather, and are completely white. Scour the evilbay, and I'm sure you'll find something which suits you.

Good luck!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
The old Swedsih Army leather mitten made all in leather (elkskin i think) and a good Lovikka mitten inside. But whatch out for imitatations of the real Lovikka, there are a lot of them around and not as good as the real thing. Best combination there is when it comes to mittens.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The American mitten is pretty damned good, but make sure you get a couple of spare pairs of the woolen inner mittens, so that you can dry damp ones and wear nice dry ones all the time. The outer mitten is made from leather on the palm side and some sort of cotton canvas on the back, with a strap and draw cord. Have a look on eBay, you'll find loads stateside.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Can anyone here recommend some good cold weather mitts. I'm having trouble finding a good leather overmitt and a quality wool liner. I'd love to get some Dachstein mittens, but they're hard to get in the U.S. Plus I can't find any good leather mitts either. The only overshells you can find now are made of nylon. Suggestions?

Tried email the manufacturer, to find if anyone state-side has them?

http://www.lackner-wolle.at/Produkte.htm

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is maybe not quite what you are looking for but there are many crafts folks who will happily make to order.
Inuit craftswomen, like Mary Carl, sew some of the most beautiful and practical clothing on the planet
Mary's link
http://members.aol.com/klincoln45/mcarl.htm

or there are commercial shops which sell leather mittens

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...D=35453&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=mittens

Meanwhile hand knitting has become the latest *new* craft :rolleyes: find your local wool shop and ask if they would recommend someone who will knit to order. That way you have exactly what you want.

Alternatively, buy an old pure wool pullover from a charity shop and cut out and stitch a pair of mittens half again as large as you need. Then wash them hot and wriggle your hands into them to shape them properly. Allow to dry slowly and you'll have a perfect fit pair of felted pure wool mitts :D

cheers,
Toddy

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Well, I don't know about the overmitts, but for woolly mitts these are best ones I've ever used.
They've kept my fingers warm in very cold weather indeed, even after they got wet from snow.
Can't recommend them highly enough.

/ Karl

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Well, I don't know about the overmitts, but for woolly mitts these are best ones I've ever used.
They've kept my fingers warm in very cold weather indeed, even after they got wet from snow.
Can't recommend them highly enough.

/ Karl

Think they're classed as Dachstein mitts too.

Dachstein is just an area of Austria where they come from.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE