Cold weather camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Due to a change in circumstances requiring me to move a long distance from my work (commuting not an option) and accomodation costs being considerably more than I wish to spend, I have decided that my best option, as I have the equipment is to camp during the week at a local campsite.

I have (I think) a reasonable level of equipment to keep me relatively comfortable on a cold winter's night but would welcome any advice.

My equipment consists:
Dutch army 2-man tent
Austrian army sleeping bag (with 2 british jungle bags for extra insulation if required).
Wool blanket
Fleece blanket
Swedish army Trangia stove
small gas stove
Lantern/Torch/Headlamp
plus the usual pots/pans etc.

I'm fairly well catered for in the clothing department with a variety of shirts, jumpers, jackets, woolen socks etc.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
One thing I don't see in your list is something to sleep on. In the cold an insulative sleeping mat is as important as the bag itself so I suggest using something as warm and comfortable as you can find. It doesn't have to be dedicated camping gear. I have used old sofa cushions and found them as warm as I needed even in very cold weather.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I work in IT at a local council.

My landlord is selling up and I was on a really good deal with him. That has unfortunately shielded me from price rises which have now come as a bit of a shock. I am moving down to my girlfriend's in Bournemouth but can't do a 200 mile round trip commute every day.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I forgot to put down that I have a couple of sleepmats and an inflatable mattress. Also a Norgie container for food. I'll also be purchasing some long underwear and a hot water bottle.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
As you work in IT just get a pair of ear defenders and sleep behind the server racks. All that warm air coming out of lots of servers nice and toasty :eek:

Been tempted myself to have a quick kip in the odd comms room. :p

LOL. Believe me, I've thought of that, but there are motion sensors in the comms room.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have you thought where you're going to be spending the time between finishing work and going to bed?

Personally I would prefer to get a larger tent than a 2 man. Something that you can stand up and move around in so you're not confined. If you can run to something like a tipi that you can have a stove in that means you'll be a lot warmer and have somewhere to cook over at the same time.

If you do get a larger tent then for actually sleeping think about getting a camp bed. It raises you off the cold ground and gives you a sense of 'normality' when sleeping

With regards to rigging a tarp have a look at the last pic in this thread

Last edited:

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Have you thought where you're going to be spending the time between finishing work and going to bed?

Personally I would prefer to get a larger tent than a 2 man. Something that you can stand up and move around in so you're not confined. If you can run to something like a tipi that you can have a stove in that means you'll be a lot warmer and have somewhere to cook over at the same time.

If you do get a larger tent then for actually sleeping think about getting a camp bed. It raises you off the cold ground and gives you a sense of 'normality' when sleeping

With regards to rigging a tarp have a look at the last pic in this thread

I do have a 4-man tent but it wouldn't be possible to pitch it single-handed. The Dutch tent is apparently designed to take a camp bed, so that will be on my list at some point.

We have a staff room at work and the office is open until 7.00 so if push comes to shove I can stay there before retreating to the tent. There's also the pub.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'm with Mesquite. Get a tent you can stand up in & get a gas cooking & heating system, gas lighting too maybe running off a 15kg bottle. keep your camping gear for when you run out of gas. Under canvas for any length of time at this time of year you want to be as comfortable as possible. Roughing it in a 2-manner will be rough indeed.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Given that both gas and meths can be slow to cook on when it is cold. Then if I was camping long term over winter I think I would be tempted to treat myself to a petrol stove for cooking (or maybe a double burner gas stove with a regulator for propane and run it off of a 6kg propane cylinder which is what I use for family luxury camping).
Another thought would be to use the money that you would previously used on a months rent for an old little caravan. It would probably only get you a beat up old one and I know it isn't very bushcrafty but if you are living there it might give you more comfort and a more normal life. Just a thought.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I agree with Mesquite
a small tent is great for a short period and in decent weather
I bet you could get a decent price for having your tent on a site for a long period
tbh the money you will save on rent you could buy a nice roomy tepee or deluxe tent
would also look at waterproof storage bags or boxes for clothes etc and a good ambient light source
I lived with my wife for 6 months in a 2 man tent in Spain which was fine but if it was raining the problems began getting changed, washed,cooking, ready for work etc
The good thing is though you can start off with what you have and expand or change to meet your needs
"Treat it like a holiday"
And yes there is ALWAYS the pub

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE