Cold weather camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I agree with the above posts re. small tent, been there, done that, and for a full winter the novelty soon wears off!

There was a suggestion about a caravan, that, imho would be a good option, cheap rates on a site for long term possibly. Have a look on your local freecycle group or gumtree, you may be able to get one for free. I have seen fairly resonable ones for £100-£150!

Whatever you decide, have a good time!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
A lot of good advice here already, especially about the caravan. What with building houses and similar odd ball schemes, I've lived in caravans for a total of something like a couple of decades and I promise you that a caravan will be much more comfortable than a tent. If you can get electricity to it for heating, lighting and cooking it will be a real home from home and if you're like me you'll love it! An awning (especially a closed-in one) or tarp is a very worth-while addition.

If you do use a tent, one thing I would recommend that I haven't seen in this thread is to use a bivi bag as well as a sleeping bag. Although it does give extra warmth, that's not the main reason I use one. The main reason is that I find it almost completely eliminates condensation from the outside of the sleeping bag.

Again if you're using a tent, it should be double skinned so that the bulk of the condensation forms on the fly. For long term use with a vehicle to carry it I'd choose natural fibre over man-made fibre but I'll admit there are swings and roundabouts in the choice of fabric.

Butane isn't much use in freezing weather, a multi-fuel stove is definitely the way to go if you can't get electricity to your pitch.

If you can get electricity, I reckon an electric blanket (one you can leave on all night) is going to be pretty high on your shopping list. I always use a timer to switch mine on just before bed, and I have the timer switch on now and again if I'm away for any length of time to keep the bed aired. If no electricity, then get about half a dozen hot water bottles. The ones with a fleece cover are best as they aren't too hot to begin with and stay warm all night. If you use them a lot they don't last very long, ditch them after a year as from experience I can tell you that waking up at 3am in a pool of tepid water is no fun at all. With the obvious cautions you can use either an electric blanket or hot water bottles to air things out during the day.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
for comfort and peace of mind i would seriously concider this........

at this time of year and over the winter, B & B's are very very quiet and would be keen to strike a deal for a "long" term booking. Many landladys would be happy to do you a much reduced rate ( i'm thinking £20 a night ) for a bit of regular income over the winter.

Camping long term at this time of the year will wear you down without a doubt and your work performance may suffer as a result. You need to be comfortable when living and working away from home mate, as well as maintaining your health.

no hassle with leaving your tent / kit for the weekend when you go to your girlfriends, no muddy field to walk / drive through, decent wash facilities and toilets, at least 1 hot cooked meal a day ( breakfast ) and a warm place to sleep, read, eat your takeaway, watch TV etc etc etc etc .....

stay safe, warm, well, and employed matey.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Was going to suggest Youth Hostels or YMCA? Not sure what sort of cost that would be, but you would have companionship when you want it, down side, you never know who you would be sharing with. Don't think I could put up with myself that long week in week out.

Best of luck mate

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE