Cold Weather Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys,

As we are all aware the snow has been upon us for a good week now. I have a meet planned for this weekend and would like to run a few things by you :)

as part of my new years resolution I plan to spend AT LEAST one night camping every month so I get a taste for all weathers. This months night falls next Saturday. So it is obviously going to be very cold! so I was wondering if you think this would be sufficient to keep me warm in the depths of the night.

I am planning on spending the night in the polish army 2 man tipi. I will also have a small candle lantern to provide a little light and perhaps just to take the chill off. My kit is as follows (at the minute!)

from the ground up:

Bivvy
Foam matt
Army Issue Arctic Sleeping bag
Fleece Sleeping bag liner
Thermal long johns
a hat!
and some thick socks

What do you guys think?

I was also thinking of taking a hot water bottle and putting that into the sleeping bag ten minutes before I got in....

any more tips or advice?

Thank you :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
With that lot you should be toasty.

Obviously some people sleep warm and some cold but the issue bags are really warm and with the other bits on you should be comfy all night.

I often use a hot water bottle... of all the solutions to keeping warm at night, it's about the most low tech and still the best. I have a little fleece covered Nash one from a fishing shop - it's not so big but it works a treat.
Usually I don't bother with socks, especially if you're using a fleece liner as having bare feet promotes blood flow and makes them feel a little warmer.

I'm out next weekend myself for a few nights. Hope there is still a good dump of snow on the ground!

Last edited:

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Looks like you've got it covered - If you wanted to add more warmth, then a bivi bag would help, and I like to take a flask so that I can make a brew for the morning so I don't have to get out of the bag too quickly :lol: :lol:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Get into your pit warm!
Hot drink, star jumps if you have to, but make sure you are warm BEFORE you get in.
Great stuff, let us now how you get on!

Best.
da C.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Looks like you've got it covered - If you wanted to add more warmth, then a bivi bag would help, and I like to take a flask so that I can make a brew for the morning so I don't have to get out of the bag too quickly :lol: :lol:
+1 to the flask, I use an osprey bottle full of hot water in the bottom of my sleeping bag, makes a huge difference

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Take an empty plastic 1 litre milk bottle with you. If you are not used to regularily sleeping in cold conditions you may find you wake up needing a leak...Going out of the tent at 02.30hrs in snow is an option for Penguins and Polar Bears only..;)

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
May be warming up for the weekend but they are not sure yet. I hope not, I'm out in the lavuu and want cold and snow not warm and rain!. You will be fine with what you have it may be colder at the moment but its not arctic cold so your bag will be fine. I f you have 2 ground mats take them for extra insulation. Also hot water bottle is great, I use a nalgene in an alpkit pile pocket which is warm all night. I can't remember what size pocket is perfect for a nalgene but I found it on the web or if somebody wants I'll dig it out.

rg598

Native
I second the pee bottle. It makes a huge difference. Getting out of the sleeping bag at night will leave you shivering for quite some time. Also, make sure to keep moisture out of the sleeping bag. It makes a big difference.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
you should be toasty! how thick is your foam mat? I find that some head support helps a little, a balaclava can be useful to take the draft off your face and stop you from burying your head in the bag. Also be aware that having too many layers on in the bag can stop heat getting into the bags filling, which stops it from being fully effective at keeing you warm, I'd probably ditch the liner tbh but try it and see if it makes a difference. The bivvy bag will help keep the chill off when you are exposed to a draft or breeze (much like a balaclava on your face) but make sure its breathable and again try it with and without. Lastly get warm before you get in the bag, I don't mean sweaty but if you are cold before you go in it will take a lot longer to heat up.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Have a last minute hot snack before getting into bed and this will heat you up from the inside and keep you warm all night.
Your choice of gear looks OK, and I would second the suggestion that you take an extra foam mat for underneath you. You get as much or more cold coming through from the ground as you do from above. Hope all works out for you.Enjoy yourself. Stuart

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've spent some of the coldest nights out lately testing sleeping options for a Sweden trip at the beginning of April.

I've found that fresh warm socks just before climbing into your bag makes a world of difference. Heat promotes circulation. I use an Alpkit down bag and have tried sleeping in just underwear as some have advised, tried sleeping in Morino base layers and tried base layers plus thermals.

No doubt at all that thermals plus base-layers and fresh socks are best.

Pee bottle essential as mentioned and a nice covering of Vaseline on your lips before you nod off. The cold air dries the lips real quick.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some good advice above :)

Don't forget the basics; eating and drinking well. Keeping well hydrated will really help you keep warm. Keep the food going in; eat regularly and more often.

A chocolate bar before bed helps, as does Cocoa. Foods containing Chilli, Cayenne pepper, Parsely, Ginger, Cocoa beans, lots of vegetables, Grapes, Garlic, Onion and many other 'Thermogenic' foods will help your body generate heat and promote blood flow to the extremeties. Caffiene, tobacco and alcohol are bad. (doesn't stop me though:rolleyes:)

A warm drink in bed in the morning is just about the best way to wake up IMO, a flask or handy stove and brew kit works wonders for getting out of a nice warm bed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE